Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im looking to pick up a mustang V6 around christmast time and I figure ill have enough for about $2,000 in aftermarket upgrades after I purchase the vehicle. Wondering what the overall best selection should be for this first round of part buying. Exaust system(Hpipe, headers, exaust), Intake system, chip, underdrive pulleys and what else? If I can keep the cost of the above down and there isnt anything else reasonable performance wise in price range then I may go for some appearance upgrades (custom hood, bumper and side skirts) but that will require a paint job which will thow me over budget so i may just save for the appearance upgrade once i pick up the above. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well now that we have a budget to work with we need goals set. What do you want your car to do, street, stripe or course? From there we can direct you as to where your first mods should be and who,what,where, and how to find them and what your looking for in that particular mod. If you just looking of simple street racing credit i can point you in the right direction, but I do not condone street racing :nogrinner ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess course, the ability to get up and go when I need to combined with improvements to cornering performance. Also are offroad pipes legal anywhere and how likely are you to get caught with them? I live in southwest florida so there are no emission checks...

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
raklor said:
I would guess course, the ability to get up and go when I need to combined with improvements to cornering performance. Also are offroad pipes legal anywhere and how likely are you to get caught with them? I live in southwest florida so there are no emission checks...
How good are you at turning a wrench?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
soso, most of my experience is working on military hummers but I learned a quite a bit. Id feel comfortable maybe doing exhaust and lowering with springs but not sure how deep id want to get into the engine or a gear swap by myself or anything

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
raklor said:
soso, most of my experience is working on military hummers but I learned a quite a bit. Id feel comfortable maybe doing exhaust and lowering with springs but not sure how deep id want to get into the engine or a gear swap by myself or anything
ok, swapping cams & upgrading heads is probably out of the question . . .

Let's go with

1) 42% underdrivers + Tuner from RPMoutlet.com (450 dollars)
2) Demolet Intake from www.demolet.com ($165)
3) Cobra Takeoff front & rear Swaybars from MPS or local salvage yard ($120 or so)
4) 1.8 Roller Rockers from RPM-Mustangs.com ($255)
5) Detroit Locker from http://www.detroitlocker.com/newprod.htm (not sure what the price is, yet) or a Ford Racing Unit from GEFRacing.com (figure $500-700.00 complete & installed)
6) GT Takeoff Exhaust with Pacesetter H-pipe
7) Kenny Brown Super Sub-frame connectors from RPMoutlet.com ($93)

The cobra sway bars and Subframe connectors will make the biggest difference in handling -anything else, like better shocks/struts (QA1 makes some pretty trick, lightweight models and is made in the USA) will make a difference, as will tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ford limited slip whats the pros and cons vs the detroit locker? Wont the detroit locker play with my cornering some? Also do underdrive pullies have negative effect with the increase to power? Also what kind of power gains would I be looking at with that setup? Thanks for all the info btw.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
raklor said:
The ford limited slip whats the pros and cons vs the detroit locker? Wont the detroit locker play with my cornering some? Also do underdrive pullies have negative effect with the increase to power? Also what kind of power gains would I be looking at with that setup? Thanks for all the info btw.
FR LSD clutches wear out. I think I burned mine out getting out of a snowdrift last winter.

the Detroit Locker was standard on the SVO Mustangs. They don't mess with handling that much.

UD pulleys extend accessory life, but it will take a bit longer to cool down (you have to use Max every now and then) but all the accessories were developed to power and cool a minivan with a DVD system. And they weigh a little less than the OEM unit.

if you have a LOT of stereo equipment 2 or more amps & subs, you can pick up an alternator overdrive pulley, and still recover more power than 33% underdrivers.

you should be running 222-235 hp and you'll be prepped to start the next level.

you'll also get a lot better mileage.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
kscoyote said:
FR LSD clutches wear out. I think I burned mine out getting out of a snowdrift last winter.
:green :green :green :green :green

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.