Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks new here and have looked at a bunch of threads and could not find an answer to my question. That said I am sure this question has been asked many times.
here goes:
Swapping from automatic to a 5 speed in a 2.3, the tranny we have is out of a 5.0 I know the input shaft is a larger diameter, is there a bearing in existance that will allow the intallation of the larger diameter shaft or a fix to the problem other than getting a 2.3 tranny. we have the cable, pedal setup, wiring harness all removed from a donor.
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I think I would turn down the input shaft.

I would also cryo the shaft to help replace some of the lost hardening. Yes, hardening goes all the way through, but it is still hardest near the surface according to my machinist.

Be aware that the Fox V8 input shaft is about 1/4 inch shorter than the 4-cyl shaft, so it will not insert as deeply into the pilot as it was designed to do. This will probably be ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ty for input i was leaning towards turning the shaft but had heard that there was a bearing out there that would work but I couldnt find it.
Thanks again

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seems like that link is broken, Maurice.. There is a bearing that will work for the 5.0 T-5 to 2.3 swap, one of the guys I work with was just telling me he did it before. I don't have any other info aside from that but I can ask him about it next time I see him

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I think he meant 2.3 tranny to a 5.0 That would be the DIESEL Pilot bearing Ranger.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Hu. I guess all got solved. Good deal Maurice

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost there one more issue

Well as it turns out i have the shaft machined 20 bucks guy did it while we shot the breeze, he also recommended the oil lite bushing a little cheaper but decided to turn the unput shaft.

here is my new issue using the dame clutch , pressure plate, flywheel, the tranny stops a little over a 1/4 inch from the engine,
installed bell housing first then tranny smae problem back to installing the bell housing and tranny as a unit, still 1/4 from hitting home, put some brease on the input bearing sleeve retainer (end) and it looks like it is hitting the clutch?? found this interesting the only change is that this tranny is from a v-8 is there a different input shaft housing here also or am i just losing my everloving mind.
sorry for the long post just wanted the facts out there for you wizards

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Two thoughts:

First,
It will act like that if the clutch splines are not aligned with the input shaft splines. The solution is to engage a gear like fourth and insert a yoke or dirve shaft into the tail so that you can rotate the input shaft until the clutch splines align.

Second,
Is it possible that your 5.0 T5 is from a 94 or newer car?
Those have a longer input shaft...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm thanks,
the splines are aligned. Thats what i was wanting to know thanks.

Do you or anyone know the lengths between the two, i think this is a modified tranny its an older borg warner t-5 wc.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The tip of the 94 and newer shaft sticks out about 8 inches from the face of the transmission. A 93 and older sticks out about 5/8 less.

These measurements are not exact, of course, but will suffice for identification purpouses.

The 4-cylinder shaft sticks out about 1/4 inch more than the 93 and older V-8 shafts...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eh i may have mispoke, i was refering to the input shaft bearing retainer cover that goes over the input shaft it is what is hitting the clutch.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Eh i may have mispoke, i was refering to the input shaft bearing retainer cover that goes over the input shaft it is what is hitting the clutch.
The 93 and older "bearing retainer" extends about 4 1/2 inches from the face of the transmission.

The 94 and newer one extends about 5 1/4 inches.

Again, ball-park measurements, but good for identification purposes.
Again, you would want the shorter one.

What cluch are you using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aha thats it i have the longer one figures been riddled with fun tasks with this project.
not sure which clutch it is the one that came with the engine we got just going for the install atm it is a new clutch just a autozone one im sure, wait till all is good and son can drive the stick before switching :smilie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok all set that was the problem all hooked gonna pressure wash paint and put the eng trans in next week.
thanks for all the help from everyone i know it gets monotinous and hopefully i can help someone in the future, been a learning exp but dig it.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Question how did you remove the input gear to have it turned down. Does the V8 unit pull clear of the case without complete disassemble. Thanks Tom:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Question how did you remove the input gear to have it turned down. Does the V8 unit pull clear of the case without complete disassemble. Thanks Tom:bigthumbsup
Yes, the input shaft comes out the front BUT you have to be careful or the 15 loose roller bearings will fall down inside the transmission!

Remove the bearing retainer, but leave the shaft in place.

Elevate the TAIL of the transmission by about 4 inches or so.

Rotate the input shaft until the notch in the clutching teeth align
with the counter gear and pull it out. The rollers should remain
in the pocket of the input shaft.

To reassemble, elevate the front of the transmission by at least 2 inches.

Pack the 15 rollers in the pocket using grease so they won't fall out.

Seat the 4th gear synchro ring in the groove of the synchro hub.

Align the notch and insert the shaft.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts