Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to go with a flowmaster 40 and 2 1/2 inch pipe than to just put a new muffler on and go? What will I really gain for performance? What's the best size pipe to go with for a 2.3l? Should I go with single or duel exhaust?

·
Gear Head
1,037 Posts
For 2.3l single is best, Because there isn't enough power for a dual. But If you do go to a dual exhaust don't make the pipes any bigger than 2 inches.

As for the size of the pipe for a single 2 1/4 inch is best for 2.3l. Here's why 2 1/2 inch pipe is for engines that make around 200hp where as 2 1/4 inch is for engines that can make close to 150hp. If you go to big it will actually hurt your performance. What you do is measure your exhaust to see what size pipe you already have and add 1/4 inch you should get better performance. As for the muffler you can pick any one you what. Flowmaster 40 would be a great one.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
204 Posts
Post a video when you get it on. :gringreen

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A Single system is much better and no muffler with a high flow cat. I have done a lot of testing on exhaust systems on 2.3 T engines. I run a 3" down pipe to a high flow cat. 2 1/2" from the cat to a mustang 2 1/2" tail pipe. Sounds great and is legal. Cat only systems make more ponies than no cat muffler systems.:bigthumbsup:D;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
the muffler isn't important as much the pipe diameter-like mike89 said go with 2in-any bigger you'll lose torque at the bottom end which you don't want to do-as far as mufflers go the skies the limit-i myself am going to take the cats off and go from one pipe to a "y" and split into 2 cherry bomb glasspacks-she'll purr

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Removing the cat will cost you HP. The split system will cost you hp. If its turbo the smaller pipes will cost you HP. If its turbo. 3" to a 3" high flow 2 1/2 to the rear no mufflers.:bigthumbsup:gringreen:D:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
cats are restrictive by nature and most of the later 2.3's have 2 of them- removing them will free up power because now the motor doesn't have to work hard to push the exhaust out and scavanging will be better-all these emission parts on motors are power robbers-blocking off the egr and removing the cats will really make a 2.3 come alive-i know i already did it-i can chirp the tires now but i have a 5 speed:bigthumbsup(jst remember 2 in pipes no bigger)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so buy a muffler and have a shop put it on with the 2" pipe I already have on there. Thanks.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Actually the high flow 200 cell cats dont restrict. If you eliminate the cat your flow decreases. If you eliminate the EGR it limits the boost and timing events you can run. On a turbo car bigger is always better on pipes to an extent. Tom:happydance:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the high flow 200 cell cats dont restrict. If you eliminate the cat your flow decreases. If you eliminate the EGR it limits the boost and timing events you can run. On a turbo car bigger is always better on pipes to an extent. Tom:happydance:
That's nice to know.....People.....I'm not running turbo. Just a normal 2.3l

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey there 93foxbody have you decided on what type of muffler your going to go with?
Either a Thrush Welded muffler, Glasspack or FlowMasters 40 Series. It's tough but the Thrush and Glasspack are the cheapest. I'm keeping the 2" exhaust and getting a tip welded on.:bigthumbsup Which one sounds better on the 2.3l?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Run 2 or 2.25 inch pipes... keeps the the power band low and helps with getting off the line...

If you still have the original cats on there, you may want to replace or remove them, as they do clog over time. Then it won't matter what size exhaust you have.

From what I've seen, most agree that the Flowmaster 40 produces the "best" sound. However, do some research and see what you like. Search YouTube for "2.3 Exhaust" or similar, and you'll find a few dozen clips of different setups.

My own setup is a bit oddball... I have 2.25" pipe, one stock cat, a '93 N/A exhaust manifold, and a non-stock muffler that I won't even name. It sounds great at idle, kind of like a motorcycle... but with any throttle it will turn ricers on... still working on it :D

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Never pick an exhaust for its sound. Unless you want it to be stock. When dealing with low HP NA motors you can kill the torque curve with a poorly designed system. Choosing a system that is street lecal and emission clean is the best bet. Modern cats dont clog if yor tune and engine are in good shape. Removing a modern high flow cat does not gain you any HP. You loose HP. Running mufflers is a HP loosing deal especially on a 2.3 NA motor. :bigthumbsup

·
Gear Head
1,037 Posts
No matter what muffler you get a 4 banger will always sound like a 4 banger It's just the way the car is.:so

·
Registered
22 Posts
you know what there 93foxbody2.3 i would say go with a cherrybomb glasspack that way it cheap and if you don't like the sound you would be out only 37 dollars or so- are you going to run the pipe all the way out the back or dump it before the axle?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If not run to the end with a chrome tip, i'll do a turn down pipe after the muffler.

M

·
0 Posts
get a tubular header from a 2.3 ranger, a pipe that has a high flow cat that goes from the header, and 2.5" pipe with a chambered muffler, that should sound the best a 2.3 can sound..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.