Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine had his oil pump crap out last week during the race. Its a 2.3L notchback somewhere between 87-93 i think (its a racecar so i dont know for sure). He was told that you have to pull the whole motor to replace. I was wondering if this is entirly true or could he just unbolt the mounts and jack the engine up enough to squeeze it out. I havent crawled under it yet to see where the crossmember is i figured id ask the experts here. Any advice would be great since im probably going to help him do this :help:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
For you to pull the pan in order to change the oil pump without pulling the engine, it would be a major PITA. It would just be easier to pull the motor to do it. It would also give you the oppotunity to clean the engine bay and tend to any possible wiring issues you may have looming. Just sit on the K member and go at it.

Remember, get a standard Melling brand oil pump, not the hi volume or high pressure. They are known to cause the distributor gear to become stripped.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I am going to lean towards the side of safety on this one. You have a distributor "dummy" shaft from what I have read that is there to drive the oil pump on the DIS cars. I would think the same thing would happen.
The standard Melling brand pump has been used on people's SVOs that I have seen putting out over 300+ HP, so I am sure it will do just fine on just about any application.

If you were to go high volume or pressure pump, you would have to go with Esslinger gears which = $$$$

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.