692 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I found the long detailed turboford post about it:
TurboFord.net Forums: *Oil Pumps* m86e vs m127

Here's what the melling part numbers state:

m86c

Melling stock replacement oil pump to fit Ford and Mercury cars and Ford trucks with the 2.0L(122 OHC) & 2.3L(140 SOHC) engines in the following applications; 74-4/8/85 Ford/Mercury cars with the 140ci (2.3L-OHC) engine (except turbo charged). 83-88 Ranger with the 2.0L (122 OHC) engine and 83-4/8/85 Ranger with the 2.3L (140 SOHC) engine.

m86e (+ 10% pressure spring? according to tom in the forum post)
Melling stock replacement oil pump to fit Ford and Mercury cars with the 2.3L (140 SOHC) engine in the following applications; 79-86 Ford/Mercury cars with the Turbo & Turbo EFI 2.3L engine, 87-89 Ford Thunderbird, 89 Ford Mustang and 87-89 Mercury Merkur with the 2.3L engine.

m127
Melling stock replacement oil pump to fit Ford 2.3L (140) OHC engines from 4-8-85 to 88 and 91-93 cars, Also fits 4-8-85 to 94 Ford Rangers and 4-8-85 to 86 Mercury cars.

So you want the melling M127 so it fits your 91-93 pan. The sealed power part numbers didnt specify a difference between years. What brand/part number is the new one in the pic?

Don't know what to say about the discrepancies between the odd years...or the m86e is listed for an 89 mustang but the m127 is listed for most other years?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The turbo engine uses a stiffer spring 10% this is because of the larger system it must feed (turbo) With that said i use a stock NA pump because the 2.3 has a nasty habit of eating Dizzy gears. The later pump is for aluminum pans and newer engines. If you are interested in adding additional lubrication to your dizzy gears i have a cool mod that might interest you guys. Let me know and i will post it. Peace Tom

Chaching posted all the correct numbers and applications Thanks DUDE

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Reference my pic. The Melling M86E is the one you want. The M127 came out of an '87 TC. It's been awhile but as far as I can remember, the M127 wouldn't fit with my Mustang oil pan. BTW, the M86E is not high volume. $60 at SummitRacing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/evintho/Misc photos/Oilpumpcomparison-1.jpg
Summit overcharges and their shipping and return policy would end up costing you even more money. You can get this pump at CSK or Advance for cheaper and you don't pay shipping.

Just get the Melling M127

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.