Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the site and looking for some input for my good ol' 2.3L N/A Mustang.

Currently the upgrades I have on the car are as follows:

-5 Lug Disc Brake Conversion
-8.8 Rear End w/ Limited Slip
-KYB Shocks & Struts
-Eibach Lowering Springs
-MAC Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates
-16" 5 Spoke Pony Rims
-Decent Sound System with 3 10" subs (trying to get rid of them to make car lighter)
-GT Body Kit
-Air Intake Silencer Removed

So, what I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to increase performance out of this damn 2.3L. Yes, I wanna stick with some ricers every now and then lol.

I'm located in the OC yet my current job is in Santa Monica (roughly 36miles 1 way), plus my job requires me to drive all over the Los Angeles & Burbank areas. So, I'd like to keep the 2.3L because gas mileage (19-20mpg freeway/city driving), yet I'd like to see some more horses pushed out of this thing.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Welcome to the Site!! :wavey

well if your not willing to dish out some MAJOR PENNIES then theres not a whole lot you can to do the 2.3 n/a. alot of people take the fast route out with these 2.3's and go for a turbo 2.3.

but just stick around and you'll find out some answers sooner or later. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome to the Site!! :wavey

well if your not willing to dish out some MAJOR PENNIES then theres not a whole lot you can to do the 2.3 n/a. alot of people take the fast route out with these 2.3's and go for a turbo 2.3.

but just stick around and you'll find out some answers sooner or later. :bigthumbsup
Welcome.
He's right, i'm learning the hard way trying to get the power. It's costing me more and I get very, very little power. 4 choices my friend.
1.) 5.0 Swap (cheap if you have the donor car,expensive going piece for piece even if it's the junk yard.)
2.) 2.3 Turbo swap (cheap but good luck finding one, Lol.)
3.) Zex Safe Shot Nitrous kit (bout $300 for some power when needed keeping the 2.3 gas mileage.)
4.) Turbo your own 2.3 (lots of money.)

What i'm going to do is the Nitrous. I keep the good gas mileage and I only lose 1 hour of driving my car, not a day or week. I get power when I need it at the push of a button, or the switch that activates when you floor it.:bigthumbsup But it's all on you kid. It's your ride, do what you want to her. Have fun. :gringreen

·
Registered
960 Posts
just a thought if you do the turbo swap like me its alot cheaper than a nitrous kit i bought my donor care for $450 pulling the motor tranny and ECU and putting in my car (not as simple as it sounds) selling the roller to a friend for $300 got someone who wants the tranny for $125 the Bellhousing and fork for $40 and the stock 2.3l motor for $100 do the math and you actually make money.:gringreen

·
Registered
711 Posts
just a thought if you do the turbo swap like me its alot cheaper than a nitrous kit i bought my donor care for $450 pulling the motor tranny and ECU and putting in my car (not as simple as it sounds) selling the roller to a friend for $300 got someone who wants the tranny for $125 the Bellhousing and fork for $40 and the stock 2.3l motor for $100 do the math and you actually make money.:gringreen

Yup. Thats why i'm still looking for the turbo.:gringreen

·
Registered
563 Posts
haha arent we all. lol. :laugh:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to the site and looking for some input for my good ol' 2.3L N/A Mustang.

Currently the upgrades I have on the car are as follows:

-5 Lug Disc Brake Conversion
-8.8 Rear End w/ Limited Slip
-KYB Shocks & Struts
-Eibach Lowering Springs
-MAC Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates
-16" 5 Spoke Pony Rims
-Decent Sound System with 3 10" subs (trying to get rid of them to make car lighter)
-GT Body Kit
-Air Intake Silencer Removed

So, what I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to increase performance out of this damn 2.3L. Yes, I wanna stick with some ricers every now and then lol.

I'm located in the OC yet my current job is in Santa Monica (roughly 36miles 1 way), plus my job requires me to drive all over the Los Angeles & Burbank areas. So, I'd like to keep the 2.3L because gas mileage (19-20mpg freeway/city driving), yet I'd like to see some more horses pushed out of this thing.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

and then here is one for you $500

1985 Ford Thunderbird

Yes I know I have no life but what would you guys do without ME;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
well dang son your on a role tonight arent you. haha :bigthumbsup
but thanks ill have to look into that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I really would love to pop in a 2.3L Turbo, however my dad has been telling me that it wouldn't pass smog or something. I'm in California, and well the damn smog laws are ridiculous.

So, if I were say to get a TC or the XR4TI 2.3L Turbo & put it in my 92 2.3L Mustang, what would I need to do in order for it to pass smog? Or is there nothing I can do?

I love the idea of putting a turbo in my 92 (mainly because all of the work that has already been done), especially watching some of the videos on YouTube. I also experienced the power of the turbo a couple years ago, and wow it feeeeels amazing.

·
Registered
960 Posts
it would or wouldnt pass smog just a easily as your 2.3 only diff is the turbo. still have o2 sensors and cats so it would be just as difficult in your stock 2.3 as it would be in a 2.3t.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
2.3 turbos are so clean. I build the snot out of them and never once failed a smog test. One thing the stock 2.3 NA motor is so bad in stock form it should have never been put in a mustang. At 120-140 HP it coulden't pull a fat girl off a bike. Now with a turbo the sky is the limit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.