Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont own a mustang 2.3 but rather i have a 91 ranger with the efi 2.3L. i hope it is OK to ask these questions here.

when i run 87 octane the engine pings really bad. 90 it runs fine unless you are WOT up a hill. im not certain but im pretty sure this engine should beable to run regular gas, what should i check? i ran a full tank of injector cleaner in it allready. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you are pretty much sunk. Most likely you have a few miles on the engine and carbon build up on the piston creates "hot spots" that ignite the fuel pre-maturely giving you the ping. The higher octane ignites at a higher temperature and doesn't pre-detonate as much. Outside of rebuilding the engine with clean pistons I doubt there is any other fix.

Old school trick used to be to get the engine really warm and then pour some water down the carb while running at high RPM, basically trying to steam clean the pistons. Doesn't work well with fuel injection.

Good luck:shiny:

·
Registered
1 Posts
try looking into seafoam. For the most part I have heard that works well. do some search on it. You can run it in the gas and in the oil there are directions on the can.

just a thought

Lane

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.