Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to hear from anyone with experience running the 2.6L Kenne Bell SC on the 4.6L. don't want to attack upgrading internals, so looking to hear what kind of RWHP you're seeing at 10 PSI and lower...actually preferably at 8.5 to 9 just to be safe.

Thanks in advance. I know KB has their stats posted but curious what others in the "real world" are seeing.

Any concerns running with FRPP Hot Rod Cams?

Any cons to the KB? I've read multiple times the product is TOP NOTCH.

S

2007 GT, 4.10 rear end, JBA LT, JBA Catted H, Magnaflow, BBK CAI & TB

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
a 2.6 stage 1 or 2 is a stout SC for stock internals. If you keep the boost low and the tune fat and happy, you should have some good times with it but i feel it won't last to long.
If you get a SC, then i would get custom grind cams for it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
there's a lot of people on you tube with FRPP cams and the FRPP whipple paired up, but!!! the stock cams would give you more HP. People do it just for sound, /shrug... the Aftermarket NA style cam would kind of be working against the supercharger in a way.

B
0 Posts
Stay away from cams for now. You will reach the engines output capacity with your OEM cams and the blower. No need to spend the money now. I have driven the 2.6 on a car with the same basic set up as mine. It didn't have the off idle punch as the 2.3 Whipple and both blowers cand get to 650+rwhp down the road....food for thought.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I have the whole car torn down right now and when it goes back together it will be making about 650hp.

I've been running the Stage I 2.6L for 10Kmiles now and the motor is stone stock right down to the exhaust manifolds. The car makes 460 something at the tires. I am running the blower right out of the box with the 4" pulley it comes with.

Here are a few things I did that helped:
  • I upgraded the heat exchager to a Afco dual pass
  • I run MSD coils(off idle and midrange are better)
  • I ditched the BAP and converted over to a return style fuel system (knowing I was going big later)
Unless you are planing on building a motor and getting all the supporting parts to run over 450hp (about $15,000!) I wouldn't get the KB. The KB is not very efficent at 450hp and therefore doesn't have as much torque down low. The flip side is that it is very efficent at 16psi and makes big power easier and safer than a smaller blower.

If you are going to stay at the 450hp range I would get the Whipple. Its absolutely perfect for that application. The Whipple can also be spu faster to make big power but at 16psi it won't be as efficent as the KB and you will get things like high IAT's, etc. The Whipple would be a lot harder to get 650hp out of.

Like with anything you need to plan ahead and pick the right part for the job.

Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the whole car torn down right now and when it goes back together it will be making about 650hp.

I've been running the Stage I 2.6L for 10Kmiles now and the motor is stone stock right down to the exhaust manifolds. The car makes 460 something at the tires. I am running the blower right out of the box with the 4" pulley it comes with.

Here are a few things I did that helped:
  • I upgraded the heat exchager to a Afco dual pass
  • I run MSD coils(off idle and midrange are better)
  • I ditched the BAP and converted over to a return style fuel system (knowing I was going big later)
Unless you are planing on building a motor and getting all the supporting parts to run over 450hp (about $15,000!) I wouldn't get the KB. The KB is not very efficent at 450hp and therefore doesn't have as much torque down low. The flip side is that it is very efficent at 16psi and makes big power easier and safer than a smaller blower.

If you are going to stay at the 450hp range I would get the Whipple. Its absolutely perfect for that application. The Whipple can also be spu faster to make big power but at 16psi it won't be as efficent as the KB and you will get things like high IAT's, etc. The Whipple would be a lot harder to get 650hp out of.

Like with anything you need to plan ahead and pick the right part for the job.

Good luck
That's a very good arguement against the KB...no real thoughts to go big-big. happy to stick around 500RWHP. Is there a good resource that compares the SC's in terms of torque/HP at certain boosts?

B
0 Posts
You can try and find the flow maps if they are published or just look at the manufacterers' web site. Just be ready to read through some of the marketing.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I'd also look at that edelbrock unit out now...looks like a great blower with loads of power a 5psi..one of those TV shows put one on a car and made an easy 450hp...

·
Registered
25 Posts
magnacharger intercooled kit $3850 is the best deal I have ever found, if I was assured the belts would not slip and the tune was right, I would be very tempted to go that route. however there are no good tuners in my area that I know of.

the kb is a larger blower than the saleen, regular whipple, or edelbrock unit, but its priced about the same, I don't think it would cost $15k to have the supporting mods to run the KB to 600 rwhp, 4k for a FRPP short block 2 grand to put it together and install it, along with a bad ass clutch, 1k for that, and another 1k for fueling modes, that is 8k and I think that is generous to run the car to 600 rwhp.

my research leans toward the edlebrock or KB kit, if you have 6k to spend, with those the supplied tune will probably be better if you buy the EB from brenspeed, if my hesitation was put to rest the 3850 magnacharger intercooled kit would be hard to pass up

·
Banned
12,436 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Is there a good resource that compares the SC's in terms of torque/HP at certain boosts?
If you did find something like that it would be a “rough guess’ at best. Boost is a product of resistance. If you are running a 4” pulley on a stone stock longblock and getting 8psi you will be at about 450hp. If you are running a 4” pulley on a motor with ported heads, cams, longtubes, off road pipes, etc you may see 6psi and be making 475hp.

So unless you are looking for what boost makes what power on identical motors you won’t get very consistent or useful information.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you get into the 600+ range of rwhp you'll need to beef up the trans as well and that can get costly as well.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.