Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new 2011 V6 owner. I love the car at higher speed but feel that that the acceleration is sluggish down low. I want to replace the stock 2.73s with 3.73 but I have a few questions. (Forgive me if these are dumb questions..!)

First of all:
1.) Would I notice a significant improvement in acceleration going from 2.73 to 3.73?
2.) Is it (first) possible or (second) worthwhile to replace the 7.5" ring and pinion with an 8.8" on a V6 [as I'm noticing that most of the gear installation kits available are for the 8.8"...]?
3.) Do I have to add/replace the Trac-Lok along with the gears to gain the improved performance?
4.) Any recommendation on parts would be hghly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Newbie

·
Registered
648 Posts
You need to touch base with "arnold66" on this forum.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I am a new 2011 V6 owner. I love the car at higher speed but feel that that the acceleration is sluggish down low. I want to replace the stock 2.73s with 3.73 but I have a few questions. (Forgive me if these are dumb questions..!)

First of all:
1.) Would I notice a significant improvement in acceleration going from 2.73 to 3.73?
2.) Is it (first) possible or (second) worthwhile to replace the 7.5" ring and pinion with an 8.8" on a V6 [as I'm noticing that most of the gear installation kits available are for the 8.8"...]?
3.) Do I have to add/replace the Trac-Lok along with the gears to gain the improved performance?

Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Newbie
1. OH YEA
2. no clue
3. not sure but I dont think so.
4. I think they are all about the same.

·
Registered
777 Posts

First of all:

Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Newbie
1. Very large improvment.
2. The 2011 V6 is the same as the GT it already is 8.8.
3. No
4. Just get the FRPP 3.73s and have Ford do the install.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I thought the 2011 V6 had the 8.8 rear?

·
Registered
627 Posts

First of all:

Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Newbie
1. Look below to see if you can row the gears this quick.
2. All 2011 Mustangs have 8.8 rear.
3. No
4. The FRPP Ring & Pinon 3.73s # M-4209-F373N and have Ford Dealer do the install.
2.73 Rear
Gear
1 [email protected],045RPM
2 [email protected],996RPM
3 [email protected],022RPM
4 [email protected],989RPM
3.73 Rear
Gear
1 [email protected],819RPM You will shift 14MPH Quicker
2 [email protected],025RPM ---------- 22MPH "
3 93MPH#7,026RPM -------------34MPH "
4 [email protected],022RPM ----------- 45MPH "
5 [email protected],988RPM

Your MPG will go down about 2MPG overall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everybody.
I mentioned 7.5" because this article on American Muscle stated:

'What Size Rear Do I Have? If you have a V8 equipped Mustang, then your car should have come with 8.8" Rear Gears from the factory. V6 models came with 7.5" Rear Gears from the factory.'
What Mustang Gears Should I Buy?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks for the help everybody.
I mentioned 7.5" because this article on American Muscle stated:

'What Size Rear Do I Have? If you have a V8 equipped Mustang, then your car should have come with 8.8" Rear Gears from the factory. V6 models came with 7.5" Rear Gears from the factory.'
What Mustang Gears Should I Buy?
The older V6 stangs had 7.5 but the new v6 and GT are 8.8. Actually this time around the GT and V6 are basically the same car just different motors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.