Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just got me a two peice set of underdrive pulleys for 15 bucks on good ol ebay !! now am i gonna have to run to napa and by a alternator pulley or do i only need the crank and water pump? also you guys have been talking about smaller belts to bypass a/c and smog pulleys, is that gonna couse any probs with the smog system or idle?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depends on what size pulley the crank is. I have seen people run just the two pullies. Check out ASPracing.com they have pulley kits you can compare to the one you just bought. You may expierence hotter engine temps with the underdrive pullies and may want to get a 160 t-stat to help compensate. If you route the belt bypassing the smog pump and a/c you'll get less drag and free up HP but, wont pass emissions. Just get two belts, one for emissions and one for more HP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was planning on the two belt idea,and i have a electric fan.I was mostly worried about the alternator charging

·
Registered
121 Posts
With the smaller crank shaft pulley your alternator will spin faster. Overcharge/ too much current is the issue which will fry your alternator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh i have a weak alt any way i guess ill kill two birds with one stone lol

·
Registered
842 Posts
See what happens, sometimes I use the alt pulley some setups I dont, depends on how my alt is holding up. You SHOULD be fine with just 2 pulleys, and dont worry about the alt right now

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I use only two pulleys myself and have no issues. The alternator pulley should be just fine, if you would've gotten the 3 piece kit, the alternator pulley would've been bigger, and would've slowed down the alternator, making for a lower charge.

If you get a shorter belt to bypass a few things, you won't have any issues with what's being bypassed or the idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.