Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first car, a 1999 Mustang V6 with 75k miles on it. There are two things on it which I am wondering if they are bad. First of all, when I press in the clutch you can hear a sqeaking sound. This mainly happens when it is cold, but I think it always does this. It might even do it alittle when you let it out, but it is not as noticable.
The next problem is that the ABS light does not come on when I start the car. I ran a carfax report and it is supposed to have abs. Maybe its just the light?

If anyone can shed some light on these two things I would appreciate it. I might take it into a garage as well.

Thanks! :laughlitt

Carfax:

Year/Make/Model: 1999 FORD MUSTANG

Body Style: COUPE Engine: 3.8L V6 SFI Fuel: GASOLINE Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE Manufactured in: UNITED STATES Safety Equipment: 4 Wheel ABS Optional, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts
Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
spetsacdc said:
I just bought my first car, a 1999 Mustang V6 with 75k miles on it. There are two things on it which I am wondering if they are bad. First of all, when I press in the clutch you can hear a sqeaking sound. This mainly happens when it is cold, but I think it always does this. It might even do it alittle when you let it out, but it is not as noticable.
The next problem is that the ABS light does not come on when I start the car. I ran a carfax report and it is supposed to have abs. Maybe its just the light?

If anyone can shed some light on these two things I would appreciate it. I might take it into a garage as well.

Thanks! :laughlitt

Carfax:

Year/Make/Model: 1999 FORD MUSTANG

Body Style: COUPE Engine: 3.8L V6 SFI Fuel: GASOLINE Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE Manufactured in: UNITED STATES Safety Equipment: 4 Wheel ABS Optional, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts
Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

Where does the squeeking come from?

Only one way to find out if you have ABS, find some sand/gravel and step on the brakes!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the sqeak comes from under the hood. Maybe towards the passenger side, but it is hard to tell.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
spetsacdc said:
I believe the sqeak comes from under the hood. Maybe towards the passenger side, but it is hard to tell.

Thanks for your help.
How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

After going out and practicing shifting today, it sounded more like the sound came from the clutch pedal area, or directly in back of it.

Tanks for the help

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
spetsacdc said:

After going out and practicing shifting today, it sounded more like the sound came from the clutch pedal area, or directly in back of it.

Tanks for the help
did you buy it new?

A lot of times, people who are heavy or strong can bend the pedal set or even the firewall . .. . Sometimes, the pressure can just distort the bushings, in which case you might be able to replace the bushings

sometimes it just needs to be lubed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kscoyote said:
did you buy it new?

A lot of times, people who are heavy or strong can bend the pedal set or even the firewall . .. . Sometimes, the pressure can just distort the bushings, in which case you might be able to replace the bushings

sometimes it just needs to be lubed.
No, I bought it used a few weeks ago. I am not sure if this makes a difference, but it only makes the sqeak sound when the engine is on. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
spetsacdc said:
No, I bought it used a few weeks ago. I am not sure if this makes a difference, but it only makes the sqeak sound when the engine is on. :eyebulge:
Then it could be the throwout bearing . ... .

Hard to diagnose a noise you can't hear . ..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kscoyote said:
Then it could be the throwout bearing . ... .

Hard to diagnose a noise you can't hear . ..
I understand, thanks for your help. My best bet is to take it into a shop to get it checked out.

:eyepoppin:laughlitt:kooky:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.