Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:worship

Originally Posted by Bogart
I disagree with the opinion that adding headers doesn't do much good on an otherwise stock engine.

The first thing I did on mine aside from a K&N cone was put on BBK 1 3/4" long-tube headers and a matching catalytic H-pipe while leaving the catback stock, and I noticed some big gains, especially in the low end.

I don't have any timeslips to substantiate that claim, but in my opinion it "made 3rd gear feel like 2nd".

And regarding that, I have a question. I plan on finding a 5.0 thats closest to stock, and putting everything on myself. That way theres less chance of damage to engine, and I get to choose my options. The chances are, that the stock car will have some restrictive muffler, ugly rims, and paint that brings tears to the eyes. So to all you people out there with modded 5.0's, how big of a mistake would it be to invest into paint, rims/tires, and exaust first, rather then doing the reccomened engine mods? The reason I want to do it this way is because my funding is limited. So after buying the car, bone stock, it would be nice to clean it up, make it sound awsome, something to be proud of. And then I figure once that is done, whatever money comes in I start doing the reccomended upgrades, with my end goal of around 350hp. Are there any downsides to doing it this way. Or a reason why its a total no-no?

Lowering 5.0's. What would you guys reccomend? Are lowering springs good enough usually? I dont think I would lower it much more then an inch. Is there a point where its not safe to lower the car anymore on stock shocks? Anything else I should know before slamming a 5.0? I did a search on "lowering" and "lowering springs", and didnt get very many results, but if I did miss a thread, a link would be good enough.

Thanks! :wavey

·
Registered
514 Posts
the only bad thing about painting the car first is all the tiny scratchs you might get leaning over them to install your mods....i have some sratchs too most people wouldnt see them but i know they are there

if you only lower it a inch all you need is springs

G

·
I think your approach is a good idea. It's kind of what I'm doing. A few mods here and there mainly for driveability and bit of sound, then I'm going with paint before I really get into any power mods.
As far as lowering the car most of the time all you need is springs, if you drop it too low you'll need new caster/camber plates to be able to align it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its a Catch-22! In my opinion if you buy a stock Mustang you will spend more to get it where you want it; i.e. "customized". Personally, if I were you, I would find a Mustang on ebay or where ever that has light mods already. Possibly even a stock car with a new paint job or interior or rims that you like. In the long run it will cost you less to go that route. If you dont like that idea and want to do all the customization yourself then your gonna have to spend more money to get it there. Like I said - Catch 22.

I myself had to deal with the same question you pose - spend money on looks or spend money to go faster. My conclusion was this - if you have a fast car that looks like $hit - then your driving a fast piece of $hit that people laugh about (Some people call it a "sleeper" :rolleyes:) If you have a good looking car that isnt as fast - then at least it will still look respectable and you have room to grow in the engine bay. Just keep the hood closed at the car shows :winks (Im sure I've insulted someone by these statements :yup: )

I went with Eibach Sportline on my 91 with 17inch wheels and it lowered it (I think its a 1.7 - 1.9 inch drop somewhere around there) beautifully (see the attached image). If I have two people in the car over a speedbump it sometimes scrapes the exhaust. If you just go with something like the Eibach Pro-kit (I think they are 1.1 inch drop) I dont think that would be a problem. Remember the lower you go the more it costs you in parts (at least to lower it properly and retain a stock like suspension geometry).

Good luck in your search for cars!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mccoigk said:
Its a Catch-22! In my opinion if you buy a stock Mustang you will spend more to get it where you want it; i.e. "customized". Personally, if I were you, I would find a Mustang on ebay or where ever that has light mods already. Possibly even a stock car with a new paint job or interior or rims that you like. In the long run it will cost you less to go that route. If you dont like that idea and want to do all the customization yourself then your gonna have to spend more money to get it there. Like I said - Catch 22.

I myself had to deal with the same question you pose - spend money on looks or spend money to go faster. My conclusion was this - if you have a fast car that looks like $hit - then your driving a fast piece of $hit that people laugh about (Some people call it a "sleeper" :rolleyes:) If you have a good looking car that isnt as fast - then at least it will still look respectable and you have room to grow in the engine bay. Just keep the hood closed at the car shows :winks (Im sure I've insulted someone by these statements :yup: )

I went with Eibach Sportline on my 91 with 17inch wheels and it lowered it (I think its a 1.7 - 1.9 inch drop somewhere around there) beautifully (see the attached image). If I have two people in the car over a speedbump it sometimes scrapes the exhaust. If you just go with something like the Eibach Pro-kit (I think they are 1.1 inch drop) I dont think that would be a problem. Remember the lower you go the more it costs you in parts (at least to lower it properly and retain a stock like suspension geometry).

Good luck in your search for cars!
You're right on the catch22. I keep on thinking about that myself, but maybe I'll get lucky and find a lighly modded 5.0 with good KM and over all shape. So who knows. Good to know about the springs, thanks everyone. Now I just have to see if droping a 5.0 1 inch is enough, I think it would be allright? Anyway, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.