Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 66 coupe with a 200 auto. Would **** to go with a v8 but don't no what it would take for suspension upgrades and motor mounts. Would I be better off to sell car and buy one with a v8 already in it..I have a very solid body and good interior. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.Welcome.:)The short version would be yes, it would be cheaper to buy a solid car that came with a 289 than it would be to convert a 6 cyl car.In the 66 cars you have to replace all of the steering components except for the steering gear box and the steering wheel.The front spindles, brakes and coil springs are different.The input shaft of the tranny is different.Lots of time, work and money.On the other hand, I don't really see the problem with having more than one mustang. :gringreen People always seem to have the idea that if they are to have a car that's different from the one that they currently own,they have to get rid of it to be qualified to buy another one.I have two right now.Well, three if you count the one that's disassembled in the attic.I have had as many as five at one time,but hubby said that enough was enough and that a couple of them had to go. :sosad: Why not just save up and go get another one?Hope that helps, and again, welcome.:)

G

·
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special.html

There's a website that lists all the changes you'll need to make. I can tell you from first hand experience(converted a 67 6cyl car to a V8) that it's gonna be a lot of headache if you don't have the money. The problem is just finding a rear-end that will fit and in your case, front spindles. In 65-6, the spindles were different between the V8's and 6's. All the other years were the same, just the actual hubs that were on the spindles were different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.