Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 3.8L that when at idle you bump the throttle the plastic intake box on top of the intake manifold will change shape(looks like it puffs up) and makes a sound like air sucking in or blowing out it is hard to tell which. The motor will miss and cough from time to time and does not have the power it used to at one point it had codes that said left and right bank lean so I tried replacing the MAF sensor and the 2 upstream O2 sensors the check engine light stayed off for about 500 miles and it is back on now. I had autozone scan it and they had a code # 174 not sure what that means. I was wondering if anyone on this site had any ideas what would be up with the air intake could I have a blow by issue or a stuck valve. Also probably the most important part that I forgot is that air box has oil all over inside it and standing in the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PCV valve seems to be working properly is there a way to test them. I pulled it out of the valve cover with the motor running and vacum line hooked to it if I put my finger over the bottom of it I can hear it rattle in there and it goes back when I remove my finger not sure how it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the attachment and info it gives me a place to start. If anyone else has other ideas I can try let me know. Thanks for the help.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts