Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need detailed instructions on how to put on a 2000 explorer intake on my 89 mustang.... please help

·
Registered
864 Posts
if you still the 5.0 in it then no i think the 5.0 stoped in 97 i think the 2000 has a 4.6 in it but not sure

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you still plan on running the smog pump and EGR the 96-97 explorer intake has the provisions for that, Also the boss on runner number five can be drilled and tapped for the ACT sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
well if the 5.0 went to 2001 then IF I'M right then they have the GT40P and means you would need GT40-P heads but look at the forums here and you will find what you're looking for some guys have them here and know ther stuff i just got my GT40 heads my self. again NOT SURE

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
well if the 5.0 went to 2001 then IF I'M right then they have the GT40P and means you would need GT40-P heads but look at the forums here and you will find what you're looking for some guys have them here and know ther stuff i just got my GT40 heads my self. again NOT SURE
96-early97 had gt40's
97-01 had gt40p's

you dont need gt40 OR gt40p heads to bolt on an explorer/gt40/cobra intake,or any other intake meant for a small block ford(302), for that matter..doesnt matter whether you have stock heads,AFR's trickflow, canfields..whatever...they all have the same bolt pattern meant for a small block ford(302)..only other difference would be that the lower intake for a 351w is wider and will not work on a 302,and vice versa..so you can use any 302 intake with any 302 heads on a 302 block

·
Registered
762 Posts
From what I read you can relocate the ACT sensor to your air intake tube before the throttle body.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes you would have to drill and tap the boss on runner no. 5 for the ACT sensor. You can use a 9/16 drill bit and a 3/8 NPT tap.
You need the Air Charge Temperature (ACT) This measures the temperature of the air entering the engine. Which impacts the fuel ratio, and timming curves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You do NOT have to tap the #5 boss. Matter of fact, its probably best you didnt. The reason i am saying this is because ACT likes to "heat soak" which in turn gives an inaccurate reading/voltage to the computer. In the end the computer pulls timing thinking the air charge is too "hot" sense the sensor is heat soaked and isnt giving the accurate "air temp" as it should. This was fixed in 94 when they put the ACT in the airbox from the factory!

So like the newer mustangs, relocate the ACT to your intake tube or air box. This will give a MUCH more accurate air charge temp reading sense its actually sniffing the air going IN the intake, not the air thats already hot inside along with the intake itself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lol i just realized that was my first post on a 2+year old account LOL

·
Registered
394 Posts
You do NOT have to tap the #5 boss. Matter of fact, its probably best you didnt. The reason i am saying this is because ACT likes to "heat soak" which in turn gives an inaccurate reading/voltage to the computer. In the end the computer pulls timing thinking the air charge is too "hot" sense the sensor is heat soaked and isnt giving the accurate "air temp" as it should. This was fixed in 94 when they put the ACT in the airbox from the factory!

So like the newer mustangs, relocate the ACT to your intake tube or air box. This will give a MUCH more accurate air charge temp reading sense its actually sniffing the air going IN the intake, not the air thats already hot inside along with the intake itself.

The 94-95 5.0s had the ACT sensor in the air box area but they also had slightly different programing which could easily take this into consideration. keep in mind that Ford used the ACT as a "Safety Factor" for preventing high temp detonation. False information to the EEC-IV will make detonation more likely when the engine is warm/hot.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The 94-95 5.0s had the ACT sensor in the air box area but they also had slightly different programing which could easily take this into consideration. keep in mind that Ford used the ACT as a "Safety Factor" for preventing high temp detonation. False information to the EEC-IV will make detonation more likely when the engine is warm/hot.

Exactly. The EEC-IV and the EEC-V are two different animals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice of you to stop lurking is start posting! :bigthumbsup
Good info is always welcome.
LOL no doubt. I have had the account for years, just never really spent much time here!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand what your saying and agree. But from a tuning standpoint the ACT #5 boss on a fox in the intake is an absolute failure like the fabled ashtray door (lol). I have noticed by putting the ACT in the intake tube/airbox on more than enough fox bodys i care to discuss about, not only the car ran better but also picked up a few horses and what have you. Take under consideration fellas that 20-30 degrees in difference on an ACT signal voltage isnt going to pre-det your engine. It will help a lot more than hurt and if your det'ing because of that, you might want to consider some other factors :)

By explaining that the EEC IV and the EEC V were two different animals to me sounds like a blow off excuse. Im not here to argue with you guys, thats not my point sense this is all food for thought. But if your going to just say "its two different animals" then explain. Theres not much difference in the fox vs SN95 programming with the ACT in mind to annotate about. At least the ones i have dealt with there wasnt.

In a nut shell, i can CONFIRM that i have ran multiple fox bodys with the ACT in the intake tube. Heres a pic of one engine bay i finished (note the ACT in the intake tube). This car still runs good and is located in north carolina. Just a simple 306 build with the explorer intake. Stock cam and heads and runs with NO chip, just all sensors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds logical to me.

I guess it would only matter if the EEC-IV programming took this degree difference into consideration(when engine warm) in it's tables. And is now still trying to use those tables in it's new location(because obviously moving the sensor doesn't actually make the air colder, but it always thinks it is. The act is very important for calculating fuel ratios and timing curves to the ecm no? Ambient air temp? Just kicking a thought around for this brainstorm session hehe

But like you said that beauty is still running and lookin clean and strong.

Except for that blue loom. Sorry, hate blue loom :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts