Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang V6 - Rear Brake Issues

A couple of days ago, noticed a shuddering while driving, during a rainy day. It happened after I was stopped and hit the gas to drive. After that I heard a very ruff grinding / rubbing noise while driving and I checked my rear brakes which looked terrible. The rotors were rusted with the passenger rear rusted and pitted, hardly any pads showing and no smooth surface on the rotor.

So I'm thinking I need to do my brakes, which turns out to be a very good idea. I am by no means a mechanic, I have a limited knowledge of vehicles, what I can figure out and google on it and my Chilton. Didn't realize what I was getting into but it turned out to be a very good learning experience. Esp.. about the brake pistol tool I needed to push in the brake piston on the rear... and the fact that whoever did my brakes before never put the metal clips on them, so they never made the squealing noise etc. Then again, it is still a relatively new vehicle purchase for me with under a year with it.

I bought new rotors for both sides and pads. Found out also that one of the brake sliding pins/boots for the caliper mounting bracket on the passenger, then 2 on the driver rear were rusted frozen and I had to buy 2 new mounting brackets, boots/kit and pins.

I was able to finish up the passenger rear but noticed a leak of some kind on the driver rear which leads to my question and I will post pictures. I took off the driver rear tire and noticed a leak of some kind of fluid, with a lot of black gunky build all over the inside of the rim, towards the bottom, all over the bottom of the rotor, which looks like it rusted it further, rusted the brakes pads which I had to hit with a hammer to knock loose from the caliper.

The leak appears to be coming from the bottom of this sprocket looking device on the inside (it has some kind of teeth on it) and coming from towards the vehicle and was leaking down. I put my finger into it and although it had a built up black appearance.. it appears to be a clear fluid, but I couldn't tell from what when I smelled it.

I have not noticed any kind of brake fluid leak under the car or have had to fill it recently as well. None of the brakes lines to the caliper are leaking or have bad spots, or cracks etc so I can't seem to figure out where this is coming from.. maybe the rear differential.. some how?

If anyone has any ideas or could look at the photographs, any help would be appreciated.

Also I have a side question on the brake pads. The pads have little butterfly clips that stick out... are these just supposed to press against the caliper when you put it on or are they supposed to fit into anything in or on the caliper? I couldn't tell from my Chilton that just says install the pads and then after wards the caliper into place and bolt it back on so that's what I did.

Thanks.

Macgyver_Z

Attachments

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Check your rear axle seals for leaks. If leaking the fluid is heavy gear oil.

If you don't get them fixed, the oil will run the new brakes.

Axle seals are a job the many home mechanics can do. If this is your first rodeo, recommend doing your home work.

Be sure to rent a good slide hammer. If you have a good set of work gloves, use them. You will thank me later.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but extensive rusting is more commomly associated with brake fluid. Gear oil won't rust metal parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm,

Well I did get my rear diff fluid, flushed and replaced a few months back. Then after wards on my next oil change they said I was slightly leaking, moreover mostiture around the seal... but they didn't say it was that bad..... been researching the last couple of days and been making me think that may be what it was.

But would the rear diff... leak along the axle shaft and come out near the rotor like that if there was a leak somewhere in the rear diff? Do you think the pinion seal would be bad too?

I didn't think it would but I'm not an expert.

Plus there was more gunky build up on the rotor shielding.. but prior to taking those pictures I have brushed it off with a wire brush. Guess that wasn't the best idea before taking the pictures.

I will diffently have to do more research and go to the lube shop and check the fluid level on the rear diff and see how bad it is since the last time.

-Macgyver_Z

1 - 3 of 3 Posts