Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 GT with an automatic and 105k miles. I never had an issue until this morning, when I started it up the O/D light was flashing. It eventually went off and I began to drive. The car somewhat hesitated and the RPM would constantly jump about 200 RPM. I was able to get it home with the RPM constantly jumping up 200 and then back down. The check engine light eventually came on as well.

I checked the fluid and it all is good there. Next, I tried to scan for codes, but it says it has none...which has me stumped since the two lights are obviously on. Just got off working midnights so I need to go to bed before seeing if Autozone can scan it better than my handheld one. I did an online search of course and it seemed replies were all over the place, but I did not see anyone mentioning the RPM jump, so I was hoping someone here might have experienced something similar.

Thanks!

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,807 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be jumping in/out of overdrive. I would think that it should register a code though especially with the CEL lit. The 4r70w trans is electronically controlled. It has multiple servos/solenoids. I talked about it a bit in post #8 here: (178) Help! car not down shift | Ford Mustang Forum (allfordmustangs.com)
This is a very thorough guide for the 4r70w and AOD: Ford AODE/4R70W Guide: Calibration, Building, Troubleshooting (diyford.com)
Thanks for the response and sorry for my late one. I did end up replacing all the solenoids and the speed sensor and I still have the issue. I still get all the same codes even though everything has been replaced. So I started looking at the wiring and connections...everything looks good. Now I am wondering if it is the PCM?
Personal computer Computer Font Display device Electronic device

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have thrown the towel in and I made an appointment with a local speed shop. I chased down all the wires and connections and replaced the solenoids and sensors. I blew out the connectors and cleaned where I could. My last thought is the PCM, but before I drop that coin, I will let them look at it.

So I have little response, but I wanted to keep updating in case anyone comes across this issue. I will update this thread once I get it figured out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello CNTLOSE, I just had same issue with my 2002 gt. I took down by transmission and found the pump piece that goes to the torque converter was broken. Easy way to find out is to take down the transmission pan and you will see metal shaving and parts on magnet. Also transmission fluid had a funny smell. Hope that helps.

Everett

1 - 5 of 5 Posts