Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to say hello to everyone, I'm new to this site and I'd like to get some ideas from you about where to start on this problem.

I have a 2000 GT Convertible with the Mack 460 sound system. When I bought the car it came with the stock system speakers and amps but with an aftermarket head unit. The system has always sounded really good, lots of base but it has always had a noise in all the speakers. Gets a little louder as I accelerate and gets ALOT worse when I turn the A/C on. If I turn the car off and put the key in the ACC position the noise is gone. If I turn the key to the on position but do not start the car the noise is back. The system is still using the factory amps. I unplugged the amps and turned the key to on, not starting the car, and the noise is still there. Even if I turn the radio off the noise still comes through the speakers. It gets a little bit quieter but it is still there.

Now I due have another problem that I have yet to fix and that is the alternator is over charging at times. My battery light will come on for a couple of minutes then go out but does that a lot. The reason that I think it is over charging is that it is pushing battery acid out the caps on the battery and my gauge never goes into the negatives when the light is on. I'm going to replace that this weekend.

Any possibility that the noise in the speakers is from the alternator? But if that is the case why do I have the noise with key in the on position and the engine not running?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's so bad that my wife won't even drive it anymore because of the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I replaced the alternator today. Still have the noise in the speakers. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm really curious as to what this fix is. Because I have the exact same issue with mine as well. It's like a whining noise right? "eeeeeeeeee" :kooky: really makes me insane.

I too unplugged the right rear of the amp (we have the same sound system) when that one is plugged in you just hear the exhaust from the speakers. With the buddy on the left plugged in it's just the whining. Sometimes.

I just recently got this car. I'm as lost as you but I know one thing...I love the darn thing too much already lol I want it all fixed! If anything, I'll be watching this thread very closely.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Check the ignition capacators. That's what they are there for (to reduce radio interference). Often ppl remove them because thay don't understand what they do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Constantine,

I'm beginning to think maybe my stereo, head unit, is bad. It is doing some things like the volume going to zero every time I turn the car off, sometimes I don't get as much bass as I should so I wiggle the volume knob and the bass comes back on. So the next thing I will do is change the unit. I'll post on here once I find the problem. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
804 Posts
Its a ground loop problem. My infinity does the same thing, especially if I am using an auxillary input. Try one of these for that: ground loop isolator - Google Search

Otherwise, its a faulty ground in the stereo system. So take out the head unit and double check things. Otherwise you may have to go all along the way to see where the problem is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah. Thanks a ton guys, I have a huge feeling it's the head unit too. For what it's worth it's a JVC and it even looks cheap. I'm going to get a factory head unit from the junk yard and swap it out if it's better then plug back in the right side amp. I'll advise on the situation as it comes I hope it's a simple fix like the head unit. If it's something bigger...that'll be bad.

Thanks again! This may take a while.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not too happy with the responces I'm reading about the fix. 1. reinstall your radio with the proper wiring harness. if the harness is missing that is your issue. 2. Make sure that you have a real ground, take the black wire and use a tap screw and screw it into the metal frame under the radio. also make sure your antenna is secure in it's location. 3. Check the speakers and make sure they are not blown. Sounds like a bad ground that is all. Changing out components under the hood doesn't work. it's all in the radio harness. Use a test lamp to make sure you are grounding it at the correct location. You can extend the ground from the radio as well to get it to a true ground. sand the spot with gritty sand paper first. Let me know if you still hear the sound. we will go further. I installed my entire system, removed the factory amps, ran my own wires. Power on one side of the cae and the signal i.e. rca's and speaker wires on the other side. they can't be ran together, must be seperated at all cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sh1noda, that was the next thing I was going to do. The guy that had the car before me put an aftermarket stereo in but left the factory cd player, what an idiot! Now I have to take that out to get to the stereo. I'll check the ground. The reason I changed my alt. was because my battery light kept coming on. Well I replaced it and it still comes on. There went a couple hundred bucks.

I'll check grounds and get back to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts