Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up guys? ive been trying to find out a straightforward answer as to whether puttin a 4.6 4v DOHC engine from a 96 lincoln mark viii into my 2000 gt will be a simple swap. From what ive gathered it seems like it should be an easy bolt in with the exception of a few wires here an there, but i have not gotten a definite answer. Can someone please tell me if the swap will be as simple as im hopin and if so what types of miscellaneous parts will i need? thanks

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Search the forum, this has been extensively discussed in many threads, but no, it isn't an easy bolt-in.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Search function

What is this search you speak of? Never heard of such a thing:headscratch:
BlackstalliOn, welcome to AFM! These two are knowledgeable regulars around here, including Mana of course. (LOL, Mana, you kill me sometimes.)

I saw this thread a minute ago, and almost said the same thing, racin366, then decided to let it lie there for a minute to see what popped up.

There are a bunch of dohc to sohc swap threads, not to mention one from a while back that involved this same lincoln engine, so there is some discussion to look up.

For one thing, the Lincoln motor is NOT the same as a Cobra, forged internals, etc, so the gains are really pretty modest - less than an early Cobra motor or Mach 1 would make. Heads are different, as is the front motor dress, accessories, pcm, etc.

Lots of trouble and expense, not much return for the amount of bother, imo.

Better to look around for a 03-04 Cobra wreck and pillage that car for the parts to do the swap.

NOT saying it can't be done, just that its not easy and there are some pitfalls if you try to get by without full access to the donor car.

The best way to do the Search, for those new to the site, is to select the correct Forum, and hit the search button for that particular Forum. That will narrow the search quite a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thats bad news...the engine in my gt has a spun rod bearing (supposedly). i was really just looking for a cheap 2v engine like the one i have, but i came across this lincoln one for $1100 w. 40k on it. i didnt really expect much of a hp gain i just figured itd be better than buying the same engine again. if its not an easy swap tho then forget it (plus the guy with the motor doesnt have the lincoln anymore for parts). i need to get my car back on the road ASAP, so yea thats dissappointing... but thanks anyways guys i appreciate the input. ill just have to find another motor.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
$1100

well thats bad news...the engine in my gt has a spun rod bearing (supposedly). i was really just looking for a cheap 2v engine like the one i have, but i came across this lincoln one for $1100 w. 40k on it. i didnt really expect much of a hp gain i just figured itd be better than buying the same engine again. if its not an easy swap tho then forget it (plus the guy with the motor doesnt have the lincoln anymore for parts). i need to get my car back on the road ASAP, so yea thats dissappointing... but thanks anyways guys i appreciate the input. ill just have to find another motor.
For that money you should be able to find a sound 4.6 that will drop right in there. Try for a later model (2001, preferably 2002 and newer).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice. i will most def do that. i heard the crown vic engines are cheap too so im goin to look at those as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.