Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get in the car to start it, the PATS is clicking. The starter won't turn over until I hit the unlock button on the key fob. It does this again when I shut the car off and it sits for 3 to 5 minutes. As soon as I hit the unlock button, everything is ok.

I took the car to the Ford dealer in early winter and got a new Ford key and fob programmed by the service department. It didn't change anything.

Has anyone had this exact problem and what needs to be done?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Your problem is NOT Ford Factory anti-theft (PATS) related. The Ford factory PATS system on the 2000 model year does NOT disable the starter. Therefore a "no crank" problem is being caused by something else.

Since using the unlock button on the key FOB enables the starter, my vote is that you have an "after market" anti-theft system installed on your car.

If you are positive that this isn't the case, then focus on the BATTERY. As an interruption in battery power to the PCM will also trigger PATS. Which is typically reset by unlocking the driver's door with the key or FOB. But if this is true, then the symptom should be "crank with no start".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to dig under the dash. I haven't seen any signs of an aftermarket system. I put a new battery in the car when I put the engine in and I watch the voltage on the Bama SF4/X4.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call on the aftermarket security. I found the box tucked under the dash.

Your problem is NOT Ford Factory anti-theft (PATS) related. The Ford factory PATS system on the 2000 model year does NOT disable the starter. Therefore a "no crank" problem is being caused by something else.

Since using the unlock button on the key FOB enables the starter, my vote is that you have an "after market" anti-theft system installed on your car.

If you are positive that this isn't the case, then focus on the BATTERY. As an interruption in battery power to the PCM will also trigger PATS. Which is typically reset by unlocking the driver's door with the key or FOB. But if this is true, then the symptom should be "crank with no start".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts