Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im planning on lowering my 2000 GT convertible and i have a few questions first.

Ive got aftermarket Bullitt wheels
-18x9 front (275/35/18)
-18x10 rear (285/35/18)

Ive got 1in spacers on the rear. Just for styling.

Im planning on putting H&R super sport springs with isolators, Tokico front and rear struts, and J&M CC plates.

My question is:
1. With the 2in front drop and 1.6 rear drop (aprox), will i have enough clearance between the wheels and fender liners?
2. Could the rear spacers cause a rubbing issue?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I was able to leave the 1" spacers on mine , lots of room . I'm dropped 1.75" front , 1.5" rear on vogtlands with no isos .

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
With 18x10 rims, you're gonna need to lose those spacers for that drop. Even without the spacers there's a chance you'll need to have the fenders rolled (not too expensive and any body shop can do it) in order to avoid rubbing. If you absolutely have to keep the spacers then rolling the fenders I think will be mandatory.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Not jacking the thread, just have a quick question.

SoCal, can you explain the process of rolling the fenders. This is new to me and possibly others. I need to have something like this done to my rear. I will check into it with the body shop, but would like to know the process before hand. I am guessing it is some type of form tool, and some painting maybe required. Thx

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Willy-

I've seen the tool before, it's been a while but as I recall it looks sort of like a sheetmetal seamer but with a longer handle for leverage. From what I gather about it, you basically just grab on to the lip inside the wheelwell, and from about the 9:00 to 3:00 position roll it upward and into the wheelwell. Done correctly and with a little finesse it shouldn't require any paint; if you're familiar with sheetmetal work at all basically all you're doing is bending (technically what you want to do is "stretch" it per how the sheetmetal construction trade would term it; bending sheetmetal implies damaging it) a little at a time, from 9 to 3 or so and working back and forth until the upward bend is uniform.

Search youtube, I'm willing to bet there's some vids of people doing it. Well, not 'doing it' lol, that's a different site...

·
Registered
688 Posts
ok great! what size tires do you have on yours?
275/40/17 Nitto's on 17x9 Cobra's front & rear . Pic of stock height vs lowered . I was prepared to either have the fenders rolled or remove the spacers but it doesn't touch anywhere . The front chin spoiler touches down occasionally entering/exiting driveways .

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Willy & SoCal , oldschool was using a wooden ball bat , wedging it between the tire/fender and gently working it back and forth rolling it through the circumference of the wheel well . A good bodyman/ metal worker could usually do this without damaging the paint .

The newer s197's don't have a lip , they are rolled from the factory .

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thanks Guys, I will do some more research. Yllrgt, I tried the bat tech and I stopped before my fender started to deform. Body work is not my specialty. LOL

OP, sorry for the brief interruption in your thread. Thx!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have the same size rims and tires as you and I have a Eibach pro-kit which lowered my car 1.5" and I have no rubbing issues what so ever. Maybe go with a 1.5" drop its looks aggressive and handels well with those rims and tires

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice everyone! I went ahead and did the install last weekend and had no problems :)

i was able to keep the spaces on too! im very happy with the result!! the stang looks real mean. i will post pictures as soon as possible!

thanks again!

·
Registered
243 Posts
^^^ She's a beaut!

Looks like an optical illusion, the rear "seems" lower than the front with the wheels protruding. Nice lookin ride, man :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while but I'm finally getting around to uploading a picture! Thoughts?
Looks good. Does it rub? I'd think the tire could come close to the quarter panel. (it still has the spacers on, right?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts