Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GT with 162k miles and a manual transmission. I have been getting a knock or tick sound when I accelerate. I was finally able to capture the sound with good audio and upload to youtube. I am not sure what the sound is, but it is very annoying. It does it when its cold or hot (more prevalent on cold start). I don't know if it's bad lifters or some valve train part. But I also burn oil, if that has anything to do with it? It is similar to an exhaust leak but I've had it checked and there is no leak. Here is the video. Feel free to comment on here and YouTube as well.
99-04 Mustang GT Tick/Knock Sound - YouTube

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 2000 GT with 162k miles and a manual transmission. I have been getting a knock or tick sound when I accelerate. I was finally able to capture the sound with good audio and upload to youtube. I am not sure what the sound is, but it is very annoying. It does it when its cold or hot (more prevalent on cold start). I don't know if it's bad lifters or some valve train part. But I also burn oil, if that has anything to do with it? It is similar to an exhaust leak but I've had it checked and there is no leak. Here is the video. Feel free to comment on here and YouTube as well.
99-04 Mustang GT Tick/Knock Sound - YouTube
That sounds like a definite exhaust manifold leak. Just because you can't visually see it doesn't mean that there isn't one. My friend had a 01 GT same issue same sounds. When we pulled his manifolds off there was a slight crack in the manifold that was very hard to see. Swapped the manifold and gaskets out and it was good as new.

Other then that see if all your plugs are torqued correctly. If it was a valve the sounds would be more towards the the top of the motor. Also, if it was a valve you could here it at idle and then it would pick up more with RPM. It wouldn't just be under acceleration.

·
Registered
649 Posts
A hole the size of a pin head in the exhaust manifold can make considerable noise. Rule out everything else first.

PDM Designers

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't do any exhaust work myself, I take it to a shop around here that does really good work. I had them check it and they didn't see anything but I can take it to them again and another shop too. Also, how do you check for leaks yourself? Is there an obvious sign of a leak, visually?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
649 Posts
Honestly, should I suspect an exhaust leak, I sea foam through the intake, plug up the tail pipes and look for white smoke from the suspected exhaust area.

PDM Designers

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't do any exhaust work myself, I take it to a shop around here that does really good work. I had them check it and they didn't see anything but I can take it to them again and another shop too. Also, how do you check for leaks yourself? Is there an obvious sign of a leak, visually?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If possible see if you can get the car elevated and have a friend stick a rag into the exhaust tips. This will cause the leak to be louder and easier to find. Also you can check for black soot at any of your flange fittings. I had a leak on the output of my x pipe and I just reseated the flange and put some high temp copper silicon around it to really seal it in. I haven't had a problem since.

When you put the rags in really listen every where all the way from the mufflers to the exhaust manifolds. Also, remember that your mufflers have a drain on the back of them that allows water to drip out so you might see some residue there but its normal.

Exhaust shops are great but when it comes to the exhaust manifold. They wouldn't be able to detemine if you had a creak in your manifolds unless they took them off and inspected them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll be trying this sometime this weekend. If I do find the crack in my manifolds, the only thing to do is replace right?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll be trying this sometime this weekend. If I do find the crack in my manifolds, the only thing to do is replace right?
Yes and its a perfect time to look into LT or Shorty's. I have heard great things about kooks headers. Also, you can look into BBK they are nice to. Make sure to use the OEM ford exhaust gaskets though!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well unfortunately aftermarket headers are a little out of my price range so I would look into used stock headers from a local Mustang shop.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm assuming he means the same noise.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Iron can be welded but its not fun. Given, the size of the hole or crack will determine if its worth fixing or replacing. The best thing to do is to replace it and know that it will be trouble free.

PDM Designers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts