Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Stang Race I have heard people talk about it this one....The Rare 2000 Cobra R v.s. the 2005-07 Shelby GT500. Who would Win and WHY ?
What are your guess to this race and would you like to see it go down ?

What do I think ? ......Well to be honest with you the GT500 Shelby has always been a great favorite to a lot of people but I would have to say the Cobra R.
It looks a lil Lighter then the newer Body style 05-08 Rides.
Also keep in mind they both Hold the 5.4 engine and are Unique cars. :scratchchin

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It would be close, they both run mid to high 12's. The Cobra R is lighter but the GT500 has about over 100 hp on the cobra, so i think it would be a driver's race on this one.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I will take the Gt 500, there is one at the track a lot with exhaust and drag radials running 12.20's

·
Registered
398 Posts
Driver's race, but man thats a tough one :scratchchin I could take any of both any day....

·
Registered
977 Posts
There's a gent on SVTP who owns both a 2000 Cobra R and GT500. He's a road racer and had wrote a good comparison thread between the two. I tried searching the forum but that place always has issues with being god awful slow. As far as drag racing, the GT500 is a bit quicker in the mph department and road racing, he said with just a few mods, it runs better in the twisties than his R did stock. His R is now modified for full race so it's the better road track car but he believes the GT500 is overall better due to its modern suspension, regarless of not having IRS. Less mods to equal his R in the twisties.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My opinion would be the GT500 in a straight line, they both have the 5.4 and the cobra r is lighter but the gt500 is supercharged and has 115 more hp than the r, but on the track i think the r would destroy the gt500, because i sell fords and that gt500 is very very tail happy, and with that cobra body kit it has the right amount of down force for high speed sweepers and tight turns, but my personal favorite is the cobra r, because its my favorite body style and i love the kit and how rare it is, even though its not street legal

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice video, its not as bad as i thought, i actually thought it would be less than that to the wheels, because i know 500 crank hp doesn't mean sh!t, but it is kind of sad that ford didnt go with the upgraded suspension, and im kind of upset that shelby would put his name on something that is less than perfect, but then again there was that dodge shelby daytona that was a true pos, but anyways nice video

·
Registered
158 Posts
On the road course, the R would own the Gt500. Drag strip would be a draw, with top speed belonging to the GT500. Comfort wise, GT500 all the way. Cruisn around getting respect, the 2000 Cobra R among 'Stang bangers, and the GT 500 for most people that like cars, but are oblivious to rarities.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Now I see you guys say the Gt500 has the REAL 500 Horses Right....Watch this Video and then make up your mind.
That segment of Top Gear has annoyed me since I first saw it. I can't figure out if Hammond is truly surprised that the HP is rated at the crank vs. the rear wheels. The way he acts, I can't believe it's all for comedic effect. Either way, I lost a little respect for him after seeing that :so

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i say from a dig the cobra R.. because of lack of suspension on the gt500s side.. from like a 40 roll the shelby by a land slide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.