Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's 2000 3.8L Convertible with an automatic has an intermittent vibration at highway speeds. It isn't always present but when it is the vibration is strongest at around 70 mph and usually begins to be felt around 55-60 mph. After 75-80 it will also lessen.

The first item I had done was a rotate and balance. The shop stated the front right was 1/2 oz out but the rest were ok. The vibration was less at this point but would still come and go.

The second was a trip to a local mechanic and they again said the front right wheel but was out of balance again but they couldn't feel the vibration.

The car doesn't seem to have signs of a wreck and the drive line looks untouched.

The car does have 17" wheels from the a 2005 or newer mustang with new looking tires.

The vibration can vary from pretty strong to non existent on the sane drive and same road.

Other than this issue the car drives and handles well. It only has 55K miles.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on the vibration? Most threads deal with new gears or some other modifications.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Running at speed when the vibration is occurring, place the tranny in neutral.........if its still there it not the engine/trans....its the tires, wheels possibly driveshaft, possibly bent axle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is the vibration felt through the steering wheel or more on the body of the car? Whens the last time the u-joints were replaced? I was gonna mention a possible broken cord or belt in a tire causing this, it happened on my bmw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is felt more through the body/seats. I will try putting it in neutral and see what happens. I keep going back to the driveshaft but not sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts