Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought this Mustang and have been trying to restore it back to health because the previous owner neglected it (go figure). A few weeks after buying the car I get a check engine light. So I drop by an auto zone and they pull an EGR code, which led me to go ahead and buy a new EGR valve.

I put the valve in, cleared the code and only ended up having it come back on a day later on the same code. I know there are certain EGR sensors and all that, but I was wondering if yall could help me troubleshoot. The EGR was really cluttered with carbon so I'm glad I changed it.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Welcome.

Please always post the full DTC codes. There are 1000's and they each have a story to tell. Don't make us guess.

In my experience, the DPFE sensor is at fault almost as ofen as the EGR valve is.

However, another frequent cause is carbon build up inside the throttle body blocking the EGR flow. Going to assume that when the EGR valve was off, the EGR passage ways were cleaned in both directions and confirmed free flowing (you did that right?).

So on the the DPFE senor. Inspect the vacuum lines to/from the DPFE sensor. Look for cracks as exhaust gas is hard on these lines. Any leaks will cause false DTC codes. It is hard to get a good inspection due to the location near the firewall.

Next clean the DPFE electrical connector with electric contact cleaner. Dry and use a small amount of silcone di-electric grease (same kind used on spark plugs).

If there still is a problem, replace the DPFE sensor. Ford has changed the calibration so this is one part that some consideration should be given to buying from Ford.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I went to Auto Zone they didn't give me the full DTC, just a print out of what it could be. Sorry for the inconvenience. I appreciate the help and yes the EGR passage way was cleaned and is free flowing.

The DPFE sensor your mentioning could be the culprit. I typed DPFE Sensor onto google and got a whole load of people having problems with it. Not going to use that to verify it though. I'll get out there and investigate it tomorrow and update. Thanks again!

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the cats overheat, the vapors in the EGR are superheated and the DPFE is toast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts