Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, this is my first car. It's a standard, V-6, 3.8 liter engine.

I have a lot of questions. It's in very good condition and my mechanic fixed all of the little problems when I first got it. The engine, he said, is in really good shape. I am more interested in how to KEEP it that way. My questions are:

1. I generally shift when the rpm's hit 2,000. It is bad for the engine to stay up near 2,100 or so for a few minutes?

2. Which noises should I be worried about?

3. Do the tires wear out quickly over not-so-smooth surfaces? (Like repaving.)

4. Is it hard on the clutch to downshift?

5. How do I check the power steering fluid level?

6. Are most of these cars whiny? My brother says it's the belts.

I'm sure I will think of more questions, but any advice anybody has to offer will be greatly appreciated! I very much want to learn how to take care of it properly and I want it to last as long as it can. I have become very attached to it. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Okay, so, this is my first car. It's a standard, V-6, 3.8 liter engine.

I have a lot of questions. It's in very good condition and my mechanic fixed all of the little problems when I first got it. The engine, he said, is in really good shape. I am more interested in how to KEEP it that way. My questions are:

1. I generally shift when the rpm's hit 2,000. It is bad for the engine to stay up near 2,100 or so for a few minutes?

2. Which noises should I be worried about?

3. Do the tires wear out quickly over not-so-smooth surfaces? (Like repaving.)

4. Is it hard on the clutch to downshift?

5. How do I check the power steering fluid level?

6. Are most of these cars whiny? My brother says it's the belts.

I'm sure I will think of more questions, but any advice anybody has to offer will be greatly appreciated! I very much want to learn how to take care of it properly and I want it to last as long as it can. I have become very attached to it. Thank you!
1. It's fine to leave the car at 2,100 rpm for a little bit. In fact, you probably cruise at that RPM on the interstate. Nothing to worry about.

2. Are you having any noises in particular right now? Some noises are nothing to worry about, but some noises indicate wear and tear or that something needs to be filled up (such as power steering fluid).

3. Different tires have different wear-and-tear tendencies. Are they still factory tires? A performance tire will wear faster than a touring tire or something that is made to be all-season.

4. Don't downshift unless you match the RPM's to the new gear. But even still, it's easier (and cheaper) to replace brakes than it is to replace a transmission. It does put stress on the internals of the transmission if you downshift.

5. I'm not sure off the top of my head. Check your owners manual.

6. What kind of whine is it? If it's in the rear end, it could be the gears. Are the gears stock or have they been replaced with 3.73 or 4.10's?

Lastly, welcome to the Mustang world :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a clicking sound near the driver's side front tire. It's definitely not a rock. It sounds like cards on bicycle tire spokes. I just recently had the gaskets for the exhaust fixed, so I don't think it's that. But it could be. The other noise sounds like something is rattling under the car and it only happens when I go over certain types of bumps like a dip at an intersection, but I can't see anything. Is it possible the pipe for the exhaust or something to do with it is loose?

It's a whine in the engine and I do believe they are stock gears. The woman who owned it before me took care of the oil changes and stuff, but she wasn't particularly into fixing it up. And the tires are performance tires. Go figure, she got fancy rims.

I love this car! I know it's not a big, beefy, super-fast car, but it's still fun and in it is in such good shape that I'm proud of it. I really don't want something big to go on it :(

Thank you very much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.