Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

We just bought this Car fairly reasonable, from a guy who sold it because his little brother raced it and lost his license in it. Anyways, he said there was engine trouble which is why we bought it so cheap. He said it was taken to a garage, and that the mechanic said it probably had a sticky ring because it smoked. Going on that theory, we ended up pulling the engine last night, and tore the engine down today. We just got to pulled everything off but the heads and all of the internals, to find that a rocker arm popped off on the 4th cylinder intake valve. the valve itself is fine, we checked it out. But we now do not know what to do about the head; we snapped the rocker arm back into place so the valve works perfectly now, but we aren't sure if it should be rebuilt. With that coming off, it would explain the smoke and cylinder not firing, but the question is, is it fixed?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
LOL, it MIGHT be, but odds are that you would be smart to do a valve job (and I would suspect that valve is damaged). Piston might be damaged too...

Sounds like the idiot, er, prior owner did the "hey, this handheld tuner will let me bypass the rev limiter and the car will rev higher and go faster!" trick. Valve float resulted, and there was an "incident". Missing gear shifts can do this, too.

If you are strapped for cash (and nowadays, who isn't) and have loads of idle time to pull engines and replace them, you could try just putting it back in the car, hooking everything back up (check the engine mounts, I bet he trashed those too, particularly the passenger side). It MIGHT run just fine.

He might also have swapped in a larger cam WITHOUT upgrading the tired OE springs, or replacing the retainers, and that would have developed valve float or caused a failure, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, yeah, thanks for the replay man....This guy was intense, he lost his license for three years, and they even had to replace the rear end, so we know it definitely had some retarded driving, but for 67000 miles, the car is in otherwise immaculate condition.... .

Anyways money isn't really an issue, its more like time is. I'm off back to school next week, and so its going to sit in my garage until I can tear back into it during thanksgiving. by then the rebuild kit we are ordering tomorrow should be in and waiting! In the mean time my Dad will take both heads to the machine shop.

I'll put post some pics of that later when it gets going... Anyways thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.