Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my coil packs to correct an engine dying problem. The engine dies whenever I have to do a lot of stopping and starting. This would include at a lot of stop lights or going through a drive thru. And it's always when I'm applying the brakes. But when I restart the car it idles fine, until I have to brake again. It doesn't die as I'm braking, just once the car has come to a complete stop. I've replaced the IAC, vaccuum hoses, and spark plugs. And lately I've been noticing a fuel smell and a hot plastic smell after shutting the car off. I haven't added any moddifications, but the car was purchased with BBK CAI and throttle body, Trick Flow upper plenum, BBK full length headers, x-pipe, no cats, 2 1/2 - 3 inch exhaust, and an aftermarket tune. (Not sure what the tune is. Last time I took it to Ford for service they said they read a non-factory tune.)

Any ideas anybody?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If your coils were bad, you have a bad miss while driving. If not, i don't see them being bad at all. could be something with the tune and could be running to rich. i'm curious about the burnt plastic smell too. I know some cars, after a cold air kit, they will have a problem of dying when it comes to a stop but usually a tuner can resolve that in a tune.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Don't use Accel coil packs, just get replacement Motorcrafts, the reliability on the Accels isn't very good at all. But to me it doesn't sound like a coil pack problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I thought it was the coil over plug or COPs problem as well. However I just changed my spark plugs, greased the COPs plugs, and then as u did bought a new IAC valve, ALSO I changed my fuel filter which was disgustingly dark and heavy which I knew was part of the problem. After that it fired up and I haven't had any problems with it dying at all when comming to a stop. It still drops a little to like 500rpms sometimes but it catches itself and brings it back to normal. But yea like most of them said, you would know if you had a bad COP because you would hear missfires and such. But it could be your tune as also suggested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.