Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently purchased a 2000 mustang gt with a 5 speed manual transmission and an engine with a horrible knocking sound. I got the car for $1500 knowing that I would have to do a whole bunch of work to it. My cousin, who is the mustang guy in the family, suggested that I take the PI intake and PI heads from the blown engine and put them on a 4.6l from a lincoln continental. He said I would also have to get a new cam and fuel system but I was just wondering if that sounds like a good plan to everyone else. Its either that so I can have a car to scoot around in or should i hold off and build a 4v or something? Im open to suggestions...thanks

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
you can pick up an entire 4.6 PI engine for probably less than swapping all the components onto a 4.6 Lincoln engine, there would be no gain in this maneuver anyways...
Other than that, shop around for a complete 4V engine if that is what you want, they are all over Ebay and such.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The Lincoln Continental is a front wheel drive. The motor mounts and transmission mounts are not compatible with a rear wheel drive.

The SOHC PI heads will bolt up (some of the timing cover bolts will be a different size 10mm vs 8mm). But... the resultant motor will not fit the rear wheel drive car.

If you are trying to build a 4V motor, the Continental heads could be be used. The rotating assembly could be used. Block, oil pan, timing cover...NOT.

Also note that the Continental bottom end is not as strong as the Cobra's.

Suggest trying car-part.com and see what's available from the salvage yards in your area.

If this were my project, I would buy the complete motor instead of "rolling your own". The $$ savings would have to be huge to make it worth the risk/hassle.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The big questions are......

How much you wana spend on the engine build ??

How much power you looking to put down ??

What do you want out of the car ??

What route are you gonna take N/A, or power adder such as (supercharger, turbo, nos) ??

Answering these questions will help us help you out a hell of alot more so that way we can throw ideals at you then you can pick from your budget/needs/wants lol Good Luck !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well right now i have about $1000 to put into it... i know thats not a lot of scratch but there is always more coming. just not in a hurry.

I guess i should let you know more about the car as it is now. It has a K&N air intake, shifter(maybe pro 5.0) and im guessing it has some different gears in it because it looks like the guy who had it before me had it turbo charged or something. It has boost guages so i think it was blown with too much boost and thats what the knocking is from.

As far as power, i would be happy with it being stock GT comparable but more power is always welcome. I want to eventually put an upgraded cam and heads but i still dont know what to get. I have future plans for a supercharger so i would like to keep that in mind.
Im ok with building a 2v but im just not sure where to start with the engine that i have now. Would the heads and intake be useable from the old engine? If so what are my options with those parts? Should i forget about the old and just track down another PI engine and start frome there?

More power less money

Thanks everyone i need all the help i can get

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
With a budget of $1000, you will be lucky to get a low mileage salvage motor and all of the "extras" the job will take to do it right (new motor mounts, gaskets, fluids, sensors).

The motor in my 2000 GT came from a 2004 Crown Vic with 35k miles. $800.

It will tough to come in under budget spending 800 for the motor. Of course a higher mileage unit would cost less.

car-part.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motor in my 2000 GT came from a 2004 Crown Vic with 35k miles. $800.
Is that a 2v or is that the 4v?

I ask because my cousin is talking about some lincoln engine but has never specified a year. He says he can get them for around $750-$800. If the stuff from the blown gt will fit on that ill just buy that swap the good PI stuff get a new cam and ill have a decent car?

Or maybe you know about a crown vic v8 that is more compatable?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Yes your heads are good along with the intake as long as there is no damage of course to either !!!

This is what i would do if i was in your shoes if you didnt mind waiting a little on getting your money saved up a little....

Save up you some money and add to your 1k and look at MMR and get one of there short blocks what ever tickles your fancy, upholds your power wants, and keep in mind on the pistons you want for the compression if you want N/A motor go higher on compression if you want power adder stay the same on compression ....then you send your heads to Nick at MHS and get a stage 1-3 work (again whatever tickles your fancy) with some of his cams and you could always do the heads later on even after you got the motor in the car and running its all up to you !!!

Or you could just go the route where you buy a used motor and then just start with simple bolt on's but i promise you now and everyone here will agree with me if you can go with the deal i listed above and dont you will be kicking yourself in the ass cause you will get power hungry and run out of bolt on's fast lol but again your car, your build, and most of all your money !!!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Is that a 2v or is that the 4v?

I ask because my cousin is talking about some lincoln engine but has never specified a year. He says he can get them for around $750-$800. If the stuff from the blown gt will fit on that ill just buy that swap the good PI stuff get a new cam and ill have a decent car?

Or maybe you know about a crown vic v8 that is more compatable?
The Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car only come with SOHC.

The Mercury Marauder had a DOHC motor.

Finding a complete low mileage DOHC motor for only $800 would be quite a find.

For $800, I got a complete SOHC PI motor from a 2004 CV. It's the same motor (long block) as the Mustang. There are some of the "bolt on" external parts that have to be swapped.

Search on Windsor to Romeo swap. Tons of PPL have done it.

For a PI motor, stick with the 2000+ MY. If you want to avoid the spark plug blowing out of the heads problem, stick to 2003 or higher.

At the risk of sounding rude, your 1k budget is not going to allow much beyond replacing the SOHC motor with similar SOHC motor. Remember, there is more to a motor swap than the cost of the motor.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well your cousin was close , it's the 93-98 Lincoln Mk8 that has the 4v engine you're looking for . A google search of mark8 swap will yield many complete diy's . Good luck with the project .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK thanks again for the help everyone.

I think i have come up with what im going to do. I found a 4.6L 2v GT block on ebay that will be $950 after shipping. Next ill save up to get MHS 2v head/cam stage 2 package($2400). I will just use the PI intake and then ill start to save up for the extra stuff that i will need for the build. Thats kinda where you guys come into play... What else will i need? fuel pump, motor mounts, ect.??

also, what do you think of my plan? Is that a good deal on the block?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Gaskets, etc. stuff that you are gonna need is obvious but fuel pump and things like that i dont see you needing unless something is wrong with yours or your gonna need more fuel than it can supply which i dont see with just stage 2 heads.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you use the Mark8 short block with your 2v PI stuff you drop close to 100lb off the front of your car with the Teksid aluminum block . The problem with finding a nice complete donor car is that you might prefer driving the Lincoln and forget about the Mustang . Another option is the 2v F150 5.4 lite swap .

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thats good news. I knew i would need to get some gasket sets and oil of course. I decided that im going to buy some cam spacers too whenever i buy the heads and cam. Im not too sure what good it will do besides clearance and whatnot but for $80 i figure ill just do it while im in there.

Are those two blocks the exact same? I would go with that in a heartbeat if its the same and if i can find one for a good price. I honestly wanted to go with and aluminum block over cast iron in the first place but i just didnt think it would be worth the hastle for what i imagined the cost would be. thats something ill check into though... thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i dont know if you guys care to know or not but i thought of a more practical way to fix the car and save a little money. Im still going to buy the cast iron block on ebay for around $950. Im not going to be buying the MMR head/cam stage 2 package anymore, instead ill be going with just the stage 2 (or higher) cam and some upgraded valve springs.

good idea?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If your talking about the cams from mhs its stated if you need valve springs or not if im not mistaking stage 2 does not require them but its all up to you on that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts