Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing my first coolant flush on a 2000 gt.
so far, everything is good. the last thing i wanted to do was make sure that i had drained all the coolant from the engine block.
i found one coolant drain plug on the driver's side a few inches up from the oil drain plug. it was tricky getting at it, but i got it. quite a bit of coolant was in there, so i'm glad i took the time.
i have a feeling that there's supposed to be a drain on the passenger's side of the block as well, but i cannot find it. the corrensponding location from the driver's side is blocked by the starter. i don't see anywhere else it could be.
can someone please verify that there's only one engine drain plug, or enlighten me as to where it would be on the passenger side?

thanks much

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I couldn't find it on my 2000 Ford Factory Service DVD, but in the Haynes manual it says that most engines have a plug on the driver's and passenger's side of the engine about 1-2 inches above the oil pan to drain the coolant.

When I did my coolant change, I removed the lower hose to the radiator and the thermostat and flushed water through until it came out of all areas clean and clear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i have a hayne's, too. i have not found it to be very good so far. i think they tried to cover too many different models with one book. i wish i had one specfically for my car.
i'm pretty convinced that there's only one block drain, unless they put it right behind the starter or somewhere unique on the block on that side. there's an awful lot going on on the passenger side - starter, a/c, etc. the driver's side is pretty clear, so it is a good place for oil and coolant drains.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Flushing it out one side is better than not at all, depending on the condition of the coolant and the miles on your car, it will probably be fine.

My coolant was still green at ~75,000 miles, but I changed it to be sure since I was installing a blower at around that time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could you find the second engine block drain plug? i was really hoping that someone would say that they've found it and it's in a certain location.
i wonder if i've seen your car around town? sounds like you've installed a lot of toys.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Its mean, green and usually fleeing the scene. :D

I honestly never looked for the second plug. The antifreeze looked really good when I flushed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm not going to say that you're wrong, but i went back out last night and searched for the second drain plug and i just can't find it. i used a flashlight and felt all around with my fingers. if there is a second one, and i'm not saying there isn't, it's behind the starter and i don't want to remove that for this job. time for a refill and make sure nothing leaks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i'm not going to say that you're wrong
hell, why not because I am... sorry... only one plug that I know of (for the block) and it's the one on the drivers side, you may be thinking of the head drains as I was, and when you remove it make sure the motor is cool because it pours out like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the confirmation. sometimes i am a little mentally challeged. i'd like to think it's the heat. my wife just thinks i'm dumb.
not sure of the cow.... i did get about a quart, or as they say in tennessee, a kort, of coolant off the block.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is my short block from a 2000. Hope you can see what you were looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.