Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 00 mustang 4.6L im going to be rebuilding. I have yet to take it out to diagnose the problem but im certain its a piston rod, i let a friend (at the time) drive it while i was on his bike and i came back to see he did a burn out and was fondling with the redline.... sooo.. im looking to invest aroun 2,200 into rebuilding my engine including cams, stroker kit, headers, flywheel, roller rockers, and valve springs.. im no mechanic either so im sure there's more things i should be replacing while im at it. my motor is currently at like 115k miles.. i just stumbled accross a discussion about people putting the aviator motor in their mustangs.... it caught my eye because that motor is a 32v DOHC!! anyone ever do the conversion ? wondering if it's reaaalllly worth it. i think i might be able to pick one up for 600.. if that's the case i could still do a lil bit of work internally to it.. i kno i will need a new hood for sure.. if anyone has done it, it'd be nice to know of what other problems i might run into or if you'd even do it..

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Save the money on a stroker kit, they don't really improve the engine much.

·
Registered
446 Posts
does that 32v engine come with harness and exhaust? if not youd have to buy both of those pay for a new intake(or i would atleast) and tune. how about your tranny you plan to use will you need a clutch and flywheel? prolly some things i have left out but i know you can find threads all over about 4v swaps i mean really if you wanna get down to its there is more power from more valves just depends on if you wanna stay 2v or go to the 4v. im sure you can find a ton of info if you will search the 4v swap maybe with you buying the whole motor it will help

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update/more question

ok this is word for word on the add for the engine im looking at. if anyone has any questions about the combo please ask me so i can ask him. i am really no mechanic on cars, i've rebuilt my engines on my dirtbikes but a car is a bigger step. so i know the basic mechanics but not too familiar with many terms i see being spoken in the forums. any help is appreciated!

"I also have a a 4.6 4 valve motor out of a wrecked aviator that is in good shape,ran great.i was going to put this into my 99 gt but i have decided to go another route with it .The motor comes with the front timing cover & fuel rails from a 99 cobra .Other than the cams being diffrent it is a great swap to do .$600.00 for the motor and parts ."

I did ask him what other parts were to be included, if any.

Now my main question... Is it even possible to get an aviator engine to become 5spd?? if so will my stock tranny still be useable ? i am sure i will need the wiring harness/cpu, new hood/ possibly intake. if i get it this cheap i will be replacing the:

cams, pistons, rods, bearings, springs, rollerrockers, headers, and fuel injectors, flywwheel

anyone have any suggestions on which product to use, providing I could get this project up and going..
*any idea if it'd be wise to go with a light weight flywheel with this engine/hp/trq.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.