Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2000 mustang gt i want to lower for about 100 bucks or less my only problem is my front tires rub against something when i turns them ALL the way so please help lowering springs 1.5 work do i need anything else thanks.:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I mean if you can find springs for $100 or less that would be cool.. If you are doing the work yourself, you are going to need a spring compressor and a VERY cautious hand. Springs let loose under compression have enough power behind them to go through your body.

What size tires are you running? Your tires will still rub. You are moving the car down though. The tires are not going to be any closer inside to anything really except the top of the wheel well.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
$100 will get you used springs...also, what size wheels/tires are you running that makes them rub?

Techincally you do not *need* anything else besides the springs, but CC plates (at a minimum) are highly recommended, as well as Spring Isolators, unless you want creaky suspension all the time.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
If you want to do it right, and since you seem to be interested in increasing your car's power and overall performance, it's going to cost a bit more than $200.

My total on parts - springs, c/c plates, bumpsteer kit, rack bushings, poly isolators, and lower control arms was over $1000. And I still need to do shocks/struts.

Before you get into dropping the car though you should figure out why your front wheels are rubbing. Without any pics I can only guess that it has some sort of generic/multiple application aftermarket rims that have too great of a backspacing dimension. If you drop the car and keep those wheels, the problem will likely become magnified.

But to your question.... If looking to do this on a budget then yes, you can get away with springs only. Honestly, you could even go to Harbor Freight and get a grinder and set of cutoff wheels and just cut the stock springs. As long as you don't exceed 1.5" on the drop then c/c plates usually aren't necessary to correct alignment, nor would you need a bumpsteer kit or offset rack bushings. As far as the lca's that's just a smart move to deal with those at the same time since it's all gonna be apart anyway.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts