Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im having problames removing the top starter bolt from my mustang
I am just looking for any help on how i can get this out. i just cant seem to figure this out so any help would be much apprecated

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Use a 1/4" drive socket with a buttload of extensions and much patience. Go through the front of the k-member and you can get on it.

Have fun getting it back in. It helps to have a few SOB tools handy.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Advice. Use a 13mm "flex" socket and at most 2 long extensions. Use a long extension instead of multiple short extensions because multiple extensions tied together have too much "slop".

Feed the extension from the front through the K-member. Place the socket on the top bolt by feel. It does help to have a buddy turn the ratchet.

The top starter bolt is a total PIA. Expect it to take longer the first time.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The best I can do for you is offer the Ford Service DVD. It has diagrams and detailed instructions. PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
like said above it s not easy... and once you get it out walk outside and throw it as far as you can... I have never reused that damn bolt and never had any problems...

·
Registered
38 Posts
removing the bolt can be a knuckle buster but remove the one you can see first, then remove the other two. When you go two replace the starter install the two and then the knuckle buster bolt last. You want to replace all the bolts that came with the starter, Ford doesn't put extra bolts in Just you piss you, its because of the stress put on the starter.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was able to get it with a small extension and a elbow but like everybody said its a PIA

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
lmao....a video, now that would be funny. I would dare say a video would be nothing but blackness and hearing someone swearing like a sailor. There is barely enough room for an 1/4" extensions much less enough room for a camera at the same time.

You kids and your you "tube" phones.......lmao....you can't film everything. Didn't someone ask about a ring and pinion video a while back. wtf ever happened to reading a book!

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
lmao....a video, now that would be funny. I would dare say a video would be nothing but blackness and hearing someone swearing like a sailor. There is barely enough room for an 1/4" extensions much less enough room for a camera at the same time.

You kids and your you "tube" phones.......lmao....you can't film everything. Didn't someone ask about a ring and pinion video a while back. wtf ever happened to reading a book!
A book! Haha. Imagine that. That would take, like, sooooo long, and be all boring and sh*t.
Vote liberal, and maybe someday you'll be entitled to a government issued car and they'll fix it for free.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
removing the bolt can be a knuckle buster but remove the one you can see first, then remove the other two. When you go two replace the starter install the two and then the knuckle buster bolt last. You want to replace all the bolts that came with the starter, Ford doesn't put extra bolts in Just you piss you, its because of the stress put on the starter.

if you look at how the starter sits to the block that 3rd bolt is not that important. I have over 50,000 miles on 2 bolts no problem... most all they guys here chunk the 3rd bolt...

ford does a lot of things not needed and to force the consumer to take their car into the shop.

I have a 03 mach 1, 01 gt , 98 gt and 01 cobra all with 2 bolts with no issues... ranging between 10,000 and 50,000 with 0 problems..

try getting it out with longtubes wow!!!'

just my 2 cents:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
625 Posts
if you look at how the starter sits to the block that 3rd bolt is not that important. I have over 50,000 miles on 2 bolts no problem... most all they guys here chunk the 3rd bolt...

ford does a lot of things not needed and to force the consumer to take their car into the shop.

I have a 03 mach 1, 01 gt , 98 gt and 01 cobra all with 2 bolts with no issues... ranging between 10,000 and 50,000 with 0 problems..

try getting it out with longtubes wow!!!'

just my 2 cents:bigthumbsup
Or try putting it back in with long tubes. Either way = tossing that bolt. Had 60k on my gt like that with no issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts