Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there sorry for my bad english Im from Costa Rica and theres not mustangs here, just few of them:mesad: and I Need some help please , I Had a 2000 GT some bolts on it , but my dad has a BD 11-A Powerdyne supercharger Kit that hi is not using anymore, the supercharger was used in a 87 corvette and I did some research and noticed that the supercharger unit its the same in the mustang kits so , I only need the brackets but no problem with that , I need to know if its safe to run 6 - 9 PSI w/ Stock Internals also the engine has 22 Lb/Hr Inyectors ,75 mm throttle body , PI Intake Manifold , CAI (Steeda ) , racing upper intake plenum and TUNE.

I need help , Its safe??? and what kind of problems can I have??

http://www.google.co.cr/images?um=1&hl=es&client=firefox-a&hs=nvb&rls=org.mozilla:es-AR:official&biw=1260&bih=549&tbs=isch:1&&sa=X&ei=s3daTMP4NMH98Aabh-DcAQ&ved=0CB8QvwUoAQ&q=throttle+body&spell=1

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am not familiar with that supercharger, but if you did the research and know for a fact that it is compatible with the 4.6L engine with some modifications, then go ahead and do it. You will probably need to replace the fuel pump, or get a boost a pump from Kenne Bell. Maybe a new MAF also. Also, if you are able to hook that supercharger up to the engine, then you will want to get a dyno tune to make sure you are running a safe and reliable tune. it will give you the most power while keeping reliability in mind. Do the research and make sure you are doing everything safely and correctly. There are some supercharger gurus on here like Mell0 that might be able to help more.:winks Bienvenidos a AFM :smilie

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
There are some supercharger gurus on here like Mell0 that might be able to help more.
you talking to me? haha i'll surely chime in.

if you can make a bracket to mount the supercharger that's going to be a huge cost saver. the only thing that's going to be tough is properly aligning it with a custom made bracket. even if the supercharger pulley is off by the slightest bit you'll be shredding belts left and right. another thing you're going to have to look into is the proper belt size. you may have to run a string through all of the pulleys to get the right idea for sizing.

with that out of the way you're also going to need to fabricate/buy the correct piping to make the kit work. if you're not going with an intercooler then this will be rather easy. you'll have to make all of 2 pipes and you'll have to buy like 2 rubber couplings.

as far as boost is concerned, 6-9psi on a stock motor is perfectly fine WITH A SAFE TUNE. it's going to be devastating to any motor to run a supercharger without a tune. they MUST go hand in hand. i'm not sure how hot it gets in costa rica (i'm assuming pretty hot though) so you might want to look into an intercooler or meth injection. detonation is going to be a larger factor with higher temperatures and higher boost levels so you're going to have to have the timing retarded quite a bit to safely run 9psi in hot climates.

you're at the least going to need a new fuel pump (i recommend ford's SVT focus fuel pump, rated at 255lph) and potentially a boost-a-pump as well, but you should be fine with just the fuel pump. also look into new injectors. those 22# injectors won't be nearly enough. cobra injectors (38.5# i believe?) will be sufficient and can be had cheaply but require little adapters to run with our wiring harness. you may or may not also be able to find a cheap set of ford racing 42# green top injectors. those are what i'm running and most entry level supercharged guys are running.

your 75mm TB and plenum will be fine, as well as your intake manifold. you're CAI will not be able to be used and the tune that you currently have won't be good either. getting a new tune may be one of the more difficult parts of this whole swap for you. i don't know if there are any custom dyno shops around that can monitor live air/fuel measures and make proper adjustments. you may have to go through an online tuning company and do some trial and error type of stuff. VMP tuning and Bamachips are great places to start looking.

let me know if there's anything else you think of/have questions of.

bienvenidos a la clase:smartass:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice info!!!! Thanks , at last , I had 32 LB/HR Inyectors they fits perfect in the stang engine ( recently tested them ) , its enought ? or really need to buy 38 + LB/Hr inyectors???

If u dont know what a powerdyne supercharger its like there is a few photos of it , its like a Vortech one , so ,I shouldn't have trouble with that. I Had some tubes I hope can use them in the stang .

What kind of TUNE I should use to be safe???

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one last question, I Had a ford dealer near my home, I want that fuel pump u said the one from the svt ford focus, What year are those focus??? So I can Buy it new from the dealer... Thanks , We just contact powerdyne and we can buy the the discharge/outlet , we have the curved one so they can sed ud the straight shot one and the brackets :grinroll::grinroll::grinroll: Very good inf thanks 4 all the help :worship

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Make sure the rotation is correct on the supercharger. The 4.6 Mustang uses a reverse rotation, while most Corvettes and older Mustangs use standard rotation. They could offer the same model supercharger in both rotations depending on application.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yup you need to verify that the impeller is a counterclockwise rotation and that curved discharge will require custom made piping to work also!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.