Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2000 Mustang GT with stock 17x8 rims. I'm looking to put on 05-10 bullitt rims on and they're off my friends 06 GT.

This website says that my current stock rims (picture E) have an offset of 30mm, which I don't think is true but could not find any other reasonable source for the answer. I don't think they are 30mm because these wheels are also 30mm offset. I know everyone says put wheel spacers on when swapping 05-10 wheels to a 99-04 mustang because otherwise they will look sunk into the car and may rub when at a full turn because of their offset difference. However, these offsets are the same when I'm pretty sure they are not.

So my question is, what is the stock 17x8 offset on a 2000, and what is the offset on 17x8 bullitts off an 06 (American Muscle says these are 30mm, but why does everyone say put spacers on if they are the same)? Is the difference in offsets negligible, and can I run 06 bullitts on my 2000 without problems or spacers?

I would like to avoid spacers because it's an extra 200 and I have been reading that I would have to shave down the bolts from the hub because they would stick out past say a 1 inch spacer causing the rims to not sit flush. Is the trouble of shaving them down worth the 1 inch spacers if I need to get them?

Thanks, I know that was long. No definitive answer after researching.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I can't tell you what the differences in offset/backspacing between the two, but I can spot an S197 rim on an SN-95 from a mile away. They do sit inward a little bit, about an inch if I had to guess. You don't absolutely have to run spacers but it will definitely look better if you do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. So spacers are all about the looks, not necessity at all? A full turn won't rub anything?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
No I don't think rubbing will be a major issue. Out back definitely not, front wheels may possibly rub on the sway bar if you have the wheel turned all the way (full lock) but like I said it shouldn't be anything catastrophic.

A word of caution regarding the use of spacers..... There are good "safe" ones out there, and others which have more of just a cosmetic function and could be unsafe. I don't know a whole lot about these things so do your homework. My understanding though, and I could be a little off, is the good "safe" spacers are the type that are just machined pieces of steel or aluminum and slide over you existing wheel studs; to use these will require popping out your existing studs and replacing with lengthened studs (for example, a 1" spacer you would need studs that are 1" longer than current).

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2000 Mustang GT with stock 17x8 rims. I'm looking to put on 05-10 bullitt rims on and they're off my friends 06 GT.

This website says that my current stock rims (picture E) have an offset of 30mm, which I don't think is true but could not find any other reasonable source for the answer. I don't think they are 30mm because these wheels are also 30mm offset. I know everyone says put wheel spacers on when swapping 05-10 wheels to a 99-04 mustang because otherwise they will look sunk into the car and may rub when at a full turn because of their offset difference. However, these offsets are the same when I'm pretty sure they are not.

So my question is, what is the stock 17x8 offset on a 2000, and what is the offset on 17x8 bullitts off an 06 (American Muscle says these are 30mm, but why does everyone say put spacers on if they are the same)? Is the difference in offsets negligible, and can I run 06 bullitts on my 2000 without problems or spacers?

I would like to avoid spacers because it's an extra 200 and I have been reading that I would have to shave down the bolts from the hub because they would stick out past say a 1 inch spacer causing the rims to not sit flush. Is the trouble of shaving them down worth the 1 inch spacers if I need to get them?

Thanks, I know that was long. No definitive answer after researching.
16GT2000,

We offer all of our wheels from 94+ with a +30 offset. It's very convenient, instead of running different offsets for each wheel & each year.

So to answer your question, I don't see a problem with running 06' bullit wheels on your car if they are a +30 offset. We have test fitted every wheel we carry on all of our project cars with that set up.

I hope this helps, if you have further questions Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

- Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts