Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello, I have a 2000 V6 Mustang and my oil pressure gauge doesn't seem to be working, When i start the car the gauge stays at zero and then after about 3 to 5 minutes it will shoot up to normal. It will then fluctuate between zero and normal randomly as I drive. I'm sure I have oil pressure because the car always drives the same, it doesn't overheat or seize up. sometimes there's a little squeaking but I believe that's my throwout bearing. I think my oil pressure sending unit is broken or loose or something, I just wanted to run it by you guys before I buy a new sending unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
PUT OIL IN YOUR ENGINE NOW! It never occurred to you to check the level? Wtf? cooling is achieved by coolant, not oil. Engine hasn't seized yet is your indicator of oil pressure? So if your body hasn't dropped dead you must be perfectly healthy?

It's at zero when you start because you are super low on oil. Once the engine warms up the oil expands and you are seeing pressure most of the time because the level rises enough for the oil pump to actually get some. It is fluctuating because A: the oil pump is barely moving at idle and not getting enough oil because you are so low. B: When you are that low, the oil sloshes around and the oil pump sucks up air.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, I'll admit retardedness for not checking oil level but I did just do an oil change a couple thousand miles ago, and my car doesn't have any leaks. Theres no blue smoke coming out of my tail pipe either so if im consuming oil it's not very much at all. Second, i'm gonna have to disagree with you on the whole cooling topic. Oil, while being first and foremost a lubricant, also transfers heat between engine parts, also with no oil comes more friction and more friction brings more heat, so I'd have to think that my temp gauge would be at least a little higher even if my cooling system is working perfectly (either that or my temp gauge is crap). I appreciate your input and I will take it to heart and think more about the problem before I just guess at something. Thank you, I'll definitely be checking my oil system more thoroughly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not saying you're wrong, just saying that your diagnosis isn't the absolute and only one. If you're right then im glad I posted the thread and will be happy to fix the problem instead of guessing and buying unneeded parts.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Try running your car with no oil....
after you get it to operating temp, and for as long as it runs w/o seizing up, watch your temp gauges tell me what you see.

Disclaimer:
This will be a very expensive test.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Of course, check your oil level, but you may also have a loose connection on the sending unit (located behind the power steering bracket that is connected to the water pump). I have not had any sending units go bad on any of my mustangs, but I have had one go bad on a previous car that I have owned. Also, make sure the ground strap (from you driver's side motor mount to your chassis) is secure. Chances are, the guage itself is OK.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have had more than one high mileage vehicle go low on oil and they both had the EXACT symptoms op describes.

Yes the oil will of course transfer some heat like you said, if anything it just evens out the temp between parts. No cooling unless you have some sort of external oil cooler.

Guessing your car is over 125k? Maybe even 150k? They will start to burn some oil with that many miles. It's very slight so you won't see or smell it.

Did anyone see videos of cash for clunkers engine procedure? Even with no oil and filled with liquid glass, they would still have to hold the engine at 5k rpm for what seemed like a while before they died.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I checked the oil this morning and it was a little low but it was still above the minimum line. Ill do an oil change tonight and see if it help. Also my car is at about 105k miles so its getting into the high mileage range

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I did the oil change yesterday and there was definitely oil in the engine. After I did the oil change my oil pressure gauge seemed to work, I went up right when I started the car but this morning when I left for work I notice that it was sitting at zero for most of the trip and started to go up and sown again after about 5 minutes. There's definitely oil in the engine and the filter is brand new.... could it be that the pump is clogged?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I see. well could it be that the oil is just cold because when the engine get up to temp the oil pressure gauge stays steady. it usually takes a couple minutes after i start the engine but it does eventually stay steady.

I'm thinking of getting a mechanical oil pressure gauge just to make sure its nothing electrical that could be wrong.... whether it is or it isn't and electrical problem I'll still have a reliable oil pressure gauge in my car.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The force is weak on this one. Hope lost it is.

Consider at 6 PSI just how low Ford as set the oil pressure alarm. 6 PSI is so low that any oil pressure alert should be considered serious.

This is where I don't understand priorities. If this were my car, I would have run down to the autoparts store and purchased a new oil sender just to rule it out. At $10 it's cheap compared to the $$ of a new motor.

PS407 Duralast/Oil Pressure Switch $9.99
Duralast/Oil Pressure Switch (PS407) | 2000 Ford Mustang 6 Cylinders 4 3.8L SFI | AutoZone.com_

It's even cheap compared to the cost of a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts