Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My son's 2000 Mustang (stock 3.8, no mods) has lost her turn signals. Neither right nor left work. The fuse is OK, and the hazard lights work.

I have read threads about possible problems with the ignition switch, and to that effect have jiggling and jostled the switch, with no difference.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but the windshield wipers and washers do work.

Can I please have some direction in troubleshooting this further? What is involved in replacing the turn signal switch? Will I need to buy the entire multifunction stalk or whatever the <heck> it's called? Or is there a subassembly underneath the cowling?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Mike

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mike, first welcome to AFM, it sounds to me like it might be a flasher relay. small square box under neath your steering collum. under 10 bucks. :bigthumbsupGood luck.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hello all.

My son's 2000 Mustang (stock 3.8, no mods) has lost her turn signals. Neither right nor left work. The fuse is OK, and the hazard lights work.

I have read threads about possible problems with the ignition switch, and to that effect have jiggling and jostled the switch, with no difference.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but the windshield wipers and washers do work.

Can I please have some direction in troubleshooting this further? What is involved in replacing the turn signal switch? Will I need to buy the entire multifunction stalk or whatever the <heck> it's called? Or is there a subassembly underneath the cowling?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Mike
Welcome to AFM. :wavey Sounds to me like it is the muti-function switch (another name for the turn signal switch), but give the relay a try first. Its much less expensive. If it still doesn't work, replace the mutifunction switch. Its easy to remove. There are a few screws holding the plastic cover around the steering column. Once you get that off, there will be torq screws so you'll need a torq screwdriver. Ford loves torq screws for some reason. Once you have thoses screws removed, just unplug it. Don't forget about the tilt lever adjuster. Its tough at first to remove due to the thread lock. The contacts in the switch most likely wore out. Just replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If the flasher was bad the hazards wouldn't work. I'd say it's the M/F switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Bought a M/F switch from a salvage yard, connected it, and everything worked great. My takes off for work, and calls me 10 minutes later. No longer working. Same scenario. Hazards work. Bad ground? Harness problems?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would buy a new one, but thats just me. Because now you know the problem is with the M/F switch.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do you guys know if it is possible to slow down the speed of blinkers?
The relays are designed to blink faster with decreased electrical resistance(ohms), as is the case when bulbs burn out.

If you have converted to LEDs and are looking for a way to slow the blinking down(there are only two speeds: normal and fast), all you have to do is add resistors inline with the LEDs. Cut and splice.

You will have to do the math to determine how much resistance you will need to add. Such calculations are easily found online.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just realized this thread is from 2009. lol

At least you clearly used the search function! Good on ya.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok I had the same kind of issue and it started out with the windshield wiper motor went out so bought that still no windshield wiper motor clicking on. So I bought the switch an relays. still does not work and now only passenger side flasher works but not driver side front but both back flashers do. it has been a dam pain looking for the issues that might be causing this but any help would be great it is an 1999 ford mustang 3.8. email me at [email protected] any help would be great I like the part replacement but hate electrical and have no idea what to look for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts