Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody.. i own a 2000 v6 3.8L Mustang. Ive been thinking of gettin a new exhaust and i also wanted it to be a dual. As in the tips are on opposite sides of the car. Does anybody have any recommendations? and also i was wondering can i get a dual exhaust that comes under my rear bumper so i wouldnt have to purchase a new rear bumper. Thank You

·
Registered
16 Posts
I upgraded my 95 3.8L to dual exhaust using 04 Mach1 Cat Back Take offs.
Here are the part numbers for 99-04 OEM exhaust hangers.
Passenger Side Muffler Hanger XR3Z5C263AA
Tailpipe Hanger XR3Z5A246AA

The Bumper you have 3 Basic choices:
1) Buy a GT Bumper Cover
2) Notch your V6 Bumber Cover
3) Put 1 1/4" spacers between tailpipe hangers and bumper so tailpipes clear bumper cover

Additional info:
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pipes.htm

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
sHiXo said:
hello everybody.. i own a 2000 v6 3.8L Mustang. Ive been thinking of gettin a new exhaust and i also wanted it to be a dual. As in the tips are on opposite sides of the car. Does anybody have any recommendations? and also i was wondering can i get a dual exhaust that comes under my rear bumper so i wouldnt have to purchase a new rear bumper. Thank You
What's your budget?

You can always go with side exhaust. Most people just modify the hangars so they hang lower.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took my car to a local muffler shop we have been going to for years and he ordered me a set of straight pipes and magnaflow mufflers. After everything and the install it was $601.01 Honestly that was easily the best mod i have ever got. It makes you feel alot better and also respect your car i guess. Love turning heads with a rumble. Just go talk to a local muffler shop and see what he can order, good luck

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
yes, search for a cat back exhaust system, that includes hangers, or you can buy the hangers seperate.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Time 2 XLR8 said:
i jsut bought a 2001 v6 stang even tho its auto can u still put dual exhaust on it?
The only non-dual Mustangs that are tough to put duals on are pre-82 fox bodies, because of the transmission hump.

Unless you're going with a power adder, don't go larger than 2.25" diameter

·
Registered
13 Posts
kscoyote said:
The only non-dual Mustangs that are tough to put duals on are pre-82 fox bodies, because of the transmission hump.

Unless you're going with a power adder, don't go larger than 2.25" diameter
so is that an ok that i can add dual exhaust

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Time 2 XLR8 said:
so is that an ok that i can add dual exhaust
yeah, just don't go with a diameter larger than 2.25"

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Time 2 XLR8 said:
whatr would be a great dual exhaust i can get for a 2001 v6 auto

what's your budget?

·
Registered
13 Posts
kscoyote said:
what's your budget?
none lol u asked me this already i jsut want to add dual exhausts for now and a cold air intake plus i was thinkin of that high end throttle you were talkin about.....:kooky:

·
Registered
14 Posts
V6 Exhaust

Hi Guys, I realize I am late to this thread but I am brand new to this forum and a brand new mustang owner. I just bought a Torch/Red 2002 V6 Convertible. It is in great shape and I really like her but I have been trying to research adding a muffler to add some soft rumble since the vehicle has an orginal factory type (quiet)single exhaust that exits the rear. I live in a quiet neighborhood (retirement community) so I don't want to get real loud.
My questions are these, Can I get away with just adding a muffler such as a flowmaster/force II, series 40 or a Magna flow to the system I have or do I need to convert to dual exhaust?
If I have to convert would you recommend just doing dual from the Y back (any particular system recomendations) or would I need to run a total new dual exhaust system just to have a nice sound.
I realize this car is not a muscle car and my hotrod days are long over (I just want a nice low rumble) also my budget, at this time (since I just bought her) is not unlimited. I would appreciate whatever advice you might offer a newby to your Mustang world.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi Guys, I realize I am late to this thread but I am brand new to this forum and a brand new mustang owner. I just bought a Torch/Red 2002 V6 Convertible. It is in great shape and I really like her but I have been trying to research adding a muffler to add some soft rumble since the vehicle has an orginal factory type (quiet)single exhaust that exits the rear. I live in a quiet neighborhood (retirement community) so I don't want to get real loud.
My questions are these, Can I get away with just adding a muffler such as a flowmaster/force II, series 40 or a Magna flow to the system I have or do I need to convert to dual exhaust?
If I have to convert would you recommend just doing dual from the Y back (any particular system recomendations) or would I need to run a total new dual exhaust system just to have a nice sound.
I realize this car is not a muscle car and my hotrod days are long over (I just want a nice low rumble) also my budget, at this time (since I just bought her) is not unlimited. I would appreciate whatever advice you might offer a newby to your Mustang world.
Thanks
Steve
you can run a single exhaust setup with one muffler. It won't be extremely deep or loud but it will be decent at idle. After idle it will sound a little bit louder than stock..

Dual exhaust looks good and sounds good, so I'm kind of biased towards that. but it will be much more expensive. It'd probably be just $50-$100 total to get one muffler installed. For dual exhausts you'll be at $200-$400. If you were to do a dual exhaust setup, the y-pipe will keep it quieter, if you just run straight pipes from the headers (True Duals) it will be a little bit louder.

My exhaust is loud so I can't really steer you my way, but I believe flowmaster 40's and dynomax turbo mufflers are a decent choice for a low rumble.

Just do a search on google to figure out a setup you like.

·
Registered
504 Posts
yea i would go with roadhawg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pypes offers a duals kit for a cat back with the 80's style turn-downs so you don't melt or cut your bumper. Google it! A few places offer it.

There's no reason you can't run a single with a better muffler. That may be just the ticket if you live in an older community and don't feel like meeting the neighbors over an angry association meeting... especially if the hot topic is your car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 V6 manual, I got a dual exhaust conversion kit from americanmuscle.com, I got the MAC dual exhaust system. You have to also buy the "pypes street hangar kit," for $50 from the site but the exhaust by itself is about $330 and the mechanic charged me $100 for the install. I recommend it because it's great bang for your buck. It hooks up directly to your stock y-pipe and has dual catbacks with 2.5" pipes to the back which are 3" chambered mufflers. Pretty loud startup and it's pretty quiet at idle and low rpms but if you're bringing it above 3 rpms it gets pretty loud. It has a nice rumble and sounds pretty close to a V8 (and looks like one because it's a dual exhaust). You can either get it simply installed and have the mufflers go right under your rear bumper or buy a GT rear bumper and have them fit in perfectly. So altogether for about $500 I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2 cents

Just got true duals 2.25 inch with dual flow master 40's with Chrome side pipe tips coming out in front of the rear tires. Depending on how old you are lol depends on the sound. I'm 54 and it does not bother me at all. Mine is also a convertible and if I'm driving down the highway it's not that noticeable (and no I'm not deaf lol). I paid $409 including tax for everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts