Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 Mustang V6 a week ago. Everything was fine for the first 300 KM I drove it, which was very easy driving never above 2500 RPM. Yesterday I was doing some aggressive city driving and revving up to around 4000 RPM, when my car randomly shut off. I was downshifting and the RPMS jumped up, and my car shut off smoothly as if I had turned the key and the engine light came on. All my guages were reading normally, fuel pump is functioning, all battery connections are fine etc.. So I've checked the little stuff. Anyway the car was turning over but wouldn't start. Got a tow home, and two hours later it started up fine with no engine light. Took it out for a drive and it was fine, until I decided to try to rev it high again. Same thing happened!

tl;dr, 2000 V6 mustang shuts off and engine light comes on at over 4000 RPM. Electrical stuff like lights still work fine. Car turns over but wont start. After it sits for a few hours, it'll start up fine with no engine light until I rev it up too high.

Any ideas on what's going on?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Suggest starting off with a THROUGH review of the battery, battery cables, grounds around the radiator core support, and alternator.

Have the alternator and battery tested. Almost all auto parts stores will do this for free.

My theory is alternator bush bounce coupled with a weak battery.

If you are thinking this couldn't be something as simple as a bad battery or loose cable because the motor was running this would be a mistake. The battery is required to excite the alternator's field coil. No battery = no alternator = no motor.

Bottom line. Today's cars simply will not run right without a strong battery and charging system. Cut corners here at your own risk!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for your help, I'll look into it. I also forgot to mention in my previous post that although previous times the engine light cleared and the car would run fine, last time the engine light stayed on.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Pull the codes...

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Almost any auto parts store will read the DTC codes for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts