Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2000 Convertible, 3.8 V6...
When I first start up and go it runs fine. When I park for a short while (say to going into the store and back out - 15 mins) When I restart it begins to missfire. If I let it rest for a longer time (2 hours) - it acts normal again. It has not been abnormally hot, 75 degrees here. Thought it might be vapor lock... but it has not been that warm.

I have done the following:
>SeaFoamed it (as a gas additive, not through fuel rail)
>Check the MAF (and cleaned)
>New air filter
>Changed gas filter
>flushed cooling system

And it still acts the same.
Could it be DPFE sensor going bad?

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
982 Posts
Should not be vaper lock....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I just cleaned it with "canned air". I went to Autozone and the only code it shows is missing in cylinder #2. Seems like the same one everytime. The plugwires are original and #2 did seem a bit hot, so I will be replacing those this weekend. I will also check the TPS (thanks).

Hmmmm. If it was your DPFE or EGR, it would have thrown a code. My next guess would be TPS or you have some bad connections in your mass air/IAC harness. What did you clean the sensor with?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I replaced the Plugs and wires. Started up and runs great.... but does the same thing when I stop and let it rest for a short bit. ?? Would the TPS make it missfire?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the TSP (does anyone know what "without intercooler" means?) ! It eventually started to miss fire all the time, so I bought a new one at Autozone $26. My only issue now is that they gave me the wrong type (and it says "without intercooler")

They look similar (old and new parts), but the one they gave me has a bend in it which puts the connector sticking straight up... and the throttle sensor teeth are in the wrong postion to fit over the throttle position plate. arrgh!

I will be in search of the correct part today... The PN I got from them was TSP247.

Thanks for the help!

It could be your TPS or a bad injector.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
one question for you, when you change your plugs and wires did you change your coil pack, i found out over the years that replaceing that takes care of alot of problems

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I didn't. Any suggestions on a good brand? Thanks!

one question for you, when you change your plugs and wires did you change your coil pack, i found out over the years that replaceing that takes care of alot of problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.