Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has seen many 3.8's with valve train noise under load. Mine is a 2000 3.8 Stang, and has been babied since new. Always run on Mobile One Synthetic 10W30, changed every 6000 miles. Like I said, babied. But during the summer, with the A/C on, running at highway speeds, you can hear some definite valve noise.
I am a Diesel Tech for Cummins engines, but dont know much about these modular Fords. I have been told that the valve train was not adjustable. Is this true? And has anyone else delt with this?
Any help would be much appreciated...

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has seen many 3.8's with valve train noise under load. Mine is a 2000 3.8 Stang, and has been babied since new. Always run on Mobile One Synthetic 10W30, changed every 6000 miles. Like I said, babied. But during the summer, with the A/C on, running at highway speeds, you can hear some definite valve noise.
I am a Diesel Tech for Cummins engines, but dont know much about these modular Fords. I have been told that the valve train was not adjustable. Is this true? And has anyone else delt with this?
Any help would be much appreciated...
You don't have a modular engine (modular engines were the 4.6 and 5.4), you have a simple pushrod V6. The engine has hydraulic lifters that maintain proper preload, compared to setting valve lash on the older pushrods. Take a 3/4" piece of rubber hose and run it across the valvecovers and determine the area of the noise. It is possible that you have a bad lifter or a ticking valve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
VERY URGENT

what do i need to do a valve job on my own 2000 mustang v6. ive narrowed it down to it being a valve, and or a push rod. im replacing the push rods just for the hell of it. i took off both valve covers and it looks very good inside (i have picture on my profile). i know i might have to take my heads to a machine shop.
so far i know i need valves both intake and exhaust. push rods.
then take off the heads and take them to a machine shop, after all done, slap them back on, torque everything needed. and badabing badaboom. done

ill be inspecting my cam for any damage and wear, along with my springs, retainers, and rockers.

what am i missing.? :worship

PS what are the steps on beginning my own thread.???

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
you make your own thread about the same question and you necro post the question in a 4ish year old thread?

congrats you made yourself even more of a noob.......

·
Registered
483 Posts
"necro post"? LOL, nice phrase.

·
Registered
44 Posts
at least i put it in a thread that was about the same subject. its good youre a hater, your mustang stands no chance against mine nor anyone elses. it looks pretty though, with the black rims and all. shows how much of a noob you are to real ford power. ill tell you what, when you get out of the era of trying to be pretty on the outside and smelling like noob on the inside, call me. maybe ill race you, maybe ill give you a try, or maybe ill just leave 50 cents on the ground for your wasted time.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
lmfao at the personal attack...........

btw noob refers to your forum status not your brain.....

idc if the guy asked the same exact question as you, read the forum rules, you're not suppose to post in really, really, reallllllyyyyyyyyy old threads............ (i posted to state where you messed up so try and turn that around on me)

anyone can drive a fast car, you build it yourself? LOL

i'm not hating on your car why bring that into the subject? and in case you haven't noticed my car is more than just "pretty on the outside" read the signature...............

food for thought since my car is just pretty on the outside
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-talk/319609-my-new-4-2-stang-2.html

and trooplewis, sean started that phrase thank him hahaha, we usually go zombie hunting when revivals come up like this....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
YES!! Another V6 "fight"!:popcorn::popcorn: lol...daily entertainment.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
at least i put it in a thread that was about the same subject. its good youre a hater, your mustang stands no chance against mine nor anyone elses. it looks pretty though, with the black rims and all. shows how much of a noob you are to real ford power. ill tell you what, when you get out of the era of trying to be pretty on the outside and smelling like noob on the inside, call me. maybe ill race you, maybe ill give you a try, or maybe ill just leave 50 cents on the ground for your wasted time.
If your replacing push rods and valves how could you stand a chance against anybody?

R

·
0 Posts
Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon) - YouTube

·
Registered
40 Posts
VERY URGENT

what do i need to do a valve job on my own 2000 mustang v6. ive narrowed it down to it being a valve, and or a push rod. im replacing the push rods just for the hell of it. i took off both valve covers and it looks very good inside (i have picture on my profile). i know i might have to take my heads to a machine shop.
so far i know i need valves both intake and exhaust. push rods.
then take off the heads and take them to a machine shop, after all done, slap them back on, torque everything needed. and badabing badaboom. done

ill be inspecting my cam for any damage and wear, along with my springs, retainers, and rockers.

what am i missing.? :worship

PS what are the steps on beginning my own thread.???
You have a "9 sec" v6 but your asking a noob question about valvetrain.... Does not compute

·
Registered
44 Posts
wow you guys are going off on this lol, and David i see by how you write you have a brain.. my apologies, and now that ive found how to post a thread i will try not to do this again. lol zombie hunting. Im just on the edge because i treat my car like a king and YES ive put everything this car has in it myself... except the procharger.. that i am not equipped to do. but today is sunday and i shall drink. tomorrow i will replace the rods and see if that fixes my issue.. figured that was the easiest since ill just take the valve covers off, remove rockers and roll the push rods to see if they are bent. ive done what i can to pinpoint the knock to one side of the engine.. hope this works. sorry you guys
i am, a noob :jester:

·
Registered
44 Posts
You have a "9 sec" v6 but your asking a noob question about valvetrain.... Does not compute
Mr. "fox" you cant be a :yelwacko: when someone else has already been (myself).
this reminds me of the guy who takes it a bit far with the insults and becomes weirdly uncool and unfunny.
but thank you for the pointing out my noob question. i am a great mechanic, not from school but a raised mechanic. after so many years i find it good to accept that there is no perfect mechanic and its always best to have some pals throw in some advice my way sense its been 7 years since i worked on my mustangs heads. :smoke:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
has anyone with a centrifugal type supercharger ever come anywhere near 9 seconds? they're all turbo-ed right? someone refresh my memory

·
Registered
267 Posts
what is up with all these attacks on each other? we are all mustang v sixers....
i must admit i did find redlyr's response quite humerous though with the video and it made my day a whole lot better...

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
has anyone with a centrifugal type supercharger ever come anywhere near 9 seconds? they're all turbo-ed right? someone refresh my memory
There's a vortech guy running low tens (10.2 or something like that) but as far as centrifugals go, none are in the 9's that I know of, there are M90 guys there though

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Its is either (a)His name has nothing to do with his car or (b) he is talking about 8th mile times

·
Registered
686 Posts
If its your valve train fing up, you need to inspect the cam, lifters, rods, rocker arms, retainers, valves, seals, etc etc.
And if you cant put on a s/c by yourself I suggest you take the car to a mechanic to do your valve work ...

And yes I believe he is speaking of a 9sec 1/8th mile, he is simply not reffering to the 1/4, its impossible.

Go ahead quote me on that and ill make any of you look stupid, if you cant figure out why I said thats impossible you need to log off and go play with legos and draw in a coloring book :)

Noob who speaks senseless, do more research, this kind of info is everywhere ! Pretty sure my old thread has something in it about valve train work ... and go buy a haynes/chiltons and get to turning a wrench. You will learn.

And what kind of Procharger you running ? P, D, or F ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts