Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My question is this:
I have a 2000 Mustang GT. My transmission was going out so I bought a rebuild one for $200. I believe it came from a 96-98 model. Now, the transmission I purchased has a gear driven VSS as oppose to a magnetic VSS (which is what the 2000 Mustang model goes off by). But they're both the T-45 transmission. Now that I swapped the transmission, my speedometer does not work (the sensor has the same plug by the way). Is there a way to get this fixed or do I need to change the tail shaft housing? And if I do have to change the tail shaft housing, can someone show me how? Any input is much appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I'm not sure how you can fix that, but 99 and up mustang have an electronic speedo drive rather than the gear driven one, ask richard, he's a helluva tranny guy and can tell you for sure, his id name is rj8806, or randy stinchcomb would probably know too, those two are mustang encyclopedias.

R

·
0 Posts
2 things you could do, I think you can buy a Speed-Cal to correct this or you can remove the "trigger wheel" off the output shaft of your old trans and install it on the older T-45 you kust bought and I think you'll have to have to swap the ext housing too, due to the reading angle of the OSS vs VSS

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
As usual, Randy's correct about the tail swap. :bigthumbsup

The speedcal will not work since the '96-'98 T45's are mechanical, the ring on the output shaft is a plastic tooth gear that is pressed on to the output shaft. The '99-'01 T45's with electronic, use a metal reluctor ring and the tooth spacing is completely different between a plastic driven gear and a metal reluctor ring gear. In fact, they don't even look alike.

You could easily swap a tail housing and reluctor ring from a 1999-2001 T45 to yours and be done with it.
I have plenty of tailhousings and a box load of reluctor rings for the '99-'01 T45's on the shelf that I can hook you up with. If you are interested, PM me. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

R

·
0 Posts
As usual, Randy's correct about the tail swap. :bigthumbsup

The speedcal will not work since the '96-'98 T45's are mechanical, the ring on the output shaft is a plastic tooth gear that is pressed on to the output shaft. The '99-'01 T45's with electronic, use a metal reluctor ring and the tooth spacing is completely different between a plastic driven gear and a metal reluctor ring gear. In fact, they don't even look alike.

You could easily swap a tail housing and reluctor ring from a 1999-2001 T45 to yours and be done with it.
I have plenty of tailhousings and a box load of reluctor rings for the '99-'01 T45's on the shelf that I can hook you up with. If you are interested, PM me. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support

thanks Richard but what I show is the "triger wheel" from 1999 to 2000 T-45's as being the same, they both share the same output shaft as the 1998 back and then I show a different "trigger wheel" and output shaft for 2001 up 3650's

1996 to 2000 T-45 output shaft; F6ZZ-7061-A and 1999 to 2000 trigger wheel XR3Z-7H150-BA
2001 up T-3650 output shaft 1R3Z-7061-AA and 2001 up trigger wheel 1R3Z-7H150-AA

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
thanks Richard but what I show is the "triger wheel" from 1999 to 2000 T-45's as being the same, they both share the same output shaft as the 1998 back and then I show a different "trigger wheel" and output shaft for 2001 up 3650's

1996 to 2000 T-45 output shaft; F6ZZ-7061-A and 1999 to 2000 trigger wheel XR3Z-7H150-BA
2001 up T-3650 output shaft 1R3Z-7061-AA and 2001 up trigger wheel 1R3Z-7H150-AA

That is correct but his donor tranny came from a '96-'98 which used a mechanical speedo and a plastic gear pressed onto the output shaft. The '99-up used an electronic speedo and a metal reluctor ring, not a plastic gear for the speedo VSS. If he changes the plastic gear on his donor to a metal reluctor from the '99 and up as well as the tail housing, he'll be in business. The output shafts should be the same in that period as you pointed out. Just a different VSS gear for a mechanical output verses an electronic one. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys. I honestly didn't think I would get answers right away as for I'm new to this forum. Once again, thanks everyone.
Now, back to the subject.

I still have the original tranny sitting in my back yard. I pulled the tail shaft to see how it looks, and yes indeed it has the reluctor ring as Richard was talking about. Now, the only thing I need is to find the right tool to take that damn thing out. I don't even know where to find the right extractor or what kind of tool I need to do the swap. Also, could the tail shaft swap be done with the transmission mounted in the car? Or do I need to take the transmission off again? It's not that I'm lazy but I spend a few days taking that damn thing off because I stripped 1 bolt (1 of the upper 2 bolts) and in result of that, I had to take the whole engine and transmission out as a single unit. I did take advantage and changed out my motor mounts, stage 2 clutch with a 16lbs flywheel, painted my calipers (silver), and did my brakes too. Let me tell you, it was not fun. I finally put the whole thing back together about 1 week ago.

I'm sure there are other fellow members that might run into this problem, so I would like to take pictures of all my progress and show anyone needing to do this type of swap. Or would it be a waste of time? Please advise.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. I honestly didn't think I would get answers right away as for I'm new to this forum. Once again, thanks everyone.
Now, back to the subject.

I still have the original tranny sitting in my back yard. I pulled the tail shaft to see how it looks, and yes indeed it has the reluctor ring as Richard was talking about. Now, the only thing I need is to find the right tool to take that damn thing out. I don't even know where to find the right extractor or what kind of tool I need to do the swap. Also, could the tail shaft swap be done with the transmission mounted in the car? Or do I need to take the transmission off again? It's not that I'm lazy but I spend a few days taking that damn thing off because I stripped 1 bolt (1 of the upper 2 bolts) and in result of that, I had to take the whole engine and transmission out as a single unit. I did take advantage and changed out my motor mounts, stage 2 clutch with a 16lbs flywheel, painted my calipers (silver), and did my brakes too. Let me tell you, it was not fun. I finally put the whole thing back together about 1 week ago.

I'm sure there are other fellow members that might run into this problem, so I would like to take pictures of all my progress and show anyone needing to do this type of swap. Or would it be a waste of time? Please advise.

We are not a forum that ignores new members, we like to help everyone. :bigthumbsup

You don't need any special tools to get the reluctor ring off the output shaft. What we do here is take a pry bar and a hammer and gently tap on the sides of the ring, going around the whole circumference of it, tapping, until it comes off the shaft. Just tap on the end of the pry bar lightly and don't use a 5lb sledge.:D Not baby taps, but certainly not Babe Ruth swings. To get it back on the new shaft it works best of you can heat it. Once heated, it'll drop right on the output shaft and will only go to a certain point on the shaft as there is a snap ring in place on the shaft. Once it cools, it'll be seated where it needs to be on the new shaft. If you can't heat it, than repeat the tapping procedure you did to remove it form the old one, until it is seated on the new shaft.

You don't need to pull the tranny to swap a tail on a T45 but in order to get the reluctor ring back on the new one, it might be easier with it out of the car.:scratchchin

It is never a bad idea to share your experience with the forum as others may well encounter the same thing one day. :bigthumbsup

Don't worry if you damage the ring trying to get it off or back on, if you do, let me know and I'll send you another one. I have plenty laying around as we have about 50+ T45's here for rebuild and re-sell with our T45R and T45RS projects that we do. If you have a minute and are interested, click on the little house under my avatar to go to our website and you can see what it is that we do. :bigthumbsup

Let me know if you have any more questions or problems and by the way.... Welcome to AFM.

Richard
Tech Support

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tail shaft swap complete. I would like to thank everyone who was involved in helping me. Once again thanks.

I'll post a "how to swap a tail shaft from t-45" soon. With pictures of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.