Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to upgrade stang as much as i can but my dad says upgrading isnt worth it because im going to college and my car is my daily driver. however i was checking my car over yesterday and noticed the throttle body isnt very smooth nothing is wrong with it.so i looked around and noticed i can get a 65mm throttle body from bbk does anyone else have this installed and did you see gains in power?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i want to upgrade stang as much as i can but my dad says upgrading isnt worth it because im going to college and my car is my daily driver. however i was checking my car over yesterday and noticed the throttle body isnt very smooth nothing is wrong with it.so i looked around and noticed i can get a 65mm throttle body from bbk does anyone else have this installed and did you see gains in power?
It's not worth it unless you are doing more along your intake path: p&p intake manifolds, turbo, supercharger, etc. I know, I know... I have it - but that was a rookie mistake and it really didn't do much when I installed it. :so So learn from my mistake...
I'd recommend using the money for a tuner - that will wake up your ride! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i heard tuners increase hp but what specifically can you do with them?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Well, 1st off: when you buy one, it usually comes preloaded with a tune. What this tune does is advance your timing (for a specific octane of fuel), control the cooling fan(s), and adjust your A/F ratio tables for throttle position and rpm. It's made to get the best out of the upgrades you have installed, so be specific when ordering so that you get the most hp possible. :bigthumbsup Some of them also give the option for having a fuel efficiency tune also...

From there, most of them leave some variables for you to change: shift points and shift pressure (for auto trannys, sorry :so) for faster shifting, gear ratio for speedo correction, tire size to match aftermarket rims, rev limiter (prob shouldn't change), and speed limiter so you can go as fast as possible! :shigrin It requires skill, so make sure you know what you are doing or ask questions if necessary.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It seems like you're currently suffering from the Mustang MOD bug. Don't worry, I got it too... But I wouldn't recommend getting a new throttle body + spacer unless you're close to adding forced induction. If you add the TB alone, the HP gains will be minimal (barely noticable).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It seems like you're currently suffering from the Mustang MOD bug. Don't worry, I got it too... But I wouldn't recommend getting a new throttle body + spacer unless you're close to adding forced induction. If you add the TB alone, the HP gains will be minimal (barely noticable).
Yes, the MOD bug definitely runs rampant in summer... and amongst Mustang owners!!! But even if there was a cure: I don't want it! :happyhapp I just want the money to feed my "disease". :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i do have the mod bug what i wouldnt do to my car if i had the money...umm brand of tuner do you suggest i get

·
Registered
585 Posts
www.americanmuscle.com Basically anything on their site is reliable, I've always heard SCT's are reliable. Tuners are definitely one thing I would not get off of ebay though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a SCT X3 from Justin at VPMtuning.com. I ran the 93 octane performance tune from him and took off 6 tenths in the quarter mile. I have also heard American Muscle has great tunes and great service. Just be sure to buy the tuner NEW, and not used. The SCT X3 is super easy to use, just follow on screen directions. You can change a lot of stuff with the tuner, but be careful changing certain things, or you may screw up the tune/engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well.... i dunno but:scratchchin... since I change the exhaust (to a double 2" 1/2 :D) and the Air intake... i got better gas mileage.... in my opinion:so

i'll try the SCT X3 tuner.. let's see the magic :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
SCT X3 or Diablosport Predator: both work and are usually the same price. :D It more depends on what your tuner (I mean, the actual shop with the dyno that will tune your car, if you go that way) supports; e.g. I live near Tillman Speed, and they use SCT, so that's probably what I'll be getting.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
SCT X3 or Diablosport Predator: both work and are usually the same price. :D It more depends on what your tuner (I mean, the actual shop with the dyno that will tune your car, if you go that way) supports; e.g. I live near Tillman Speed, and they use SCT, so that's probably what I'll be getting.
i hear many good things about the SCT's; and it seems there are many good people who make tunes for them...

i dont know of anyone who does good tunes for a Predator...maybe one of you guys could point me in a good direction?

anyways, i love my Predator, but if i had to choose again i'd probably pick the SCT because more tuners seem to use them.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If you plan on doin any mods in the future and want to get a tuner now. Do some research on what tuners the local dyno shops use. That will help alot. If you go with sct definitely get a hold of [email protected] Vmptuning. He will set you up with a good n/a tune! Then if you really want to dial it in take it to the dyno for a couple of pulls and see if you can get some extra hp out of her.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i hear many good things about the SCT's; and it seems there are many good people who make tunes for them...

i dont know of anyone who does good tunes for a Predator...maybe one of you guys could point me in a good direction?

anyways, i love my Predator, but if i had to choose again i'd probably pick the SCT because more tuners seem to use them.
Ha! I was gonna ask you about your Predator, cuz that's what I was thinking of getting... only thing holding me back was that same fact that not many people tune with it! :happyhapp How hard was it to use? And were you able to get the gains by tuning it yourself? Did it come preloaded with anything, and where'd you order it from? :scratchchin

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Ha! I was gonna ask you about your Predator, cuz that's what I was thinking of getting... only thing holding me back was that same fact that not many people tune with it! :happyhapp How hard was it to use? And were you able to get the gains by tuning it yourself? Did it come preloaded with anything, and where'd you order it from? :scratchchin
not at all, a little, yes, and AM.

:laugh:

it comes with a 93 octane Performance Tune, which does your a/f and timing settings for you, (allows for user adjustment) and a 87 octane Factory Tune, which leaves your a/f & timing stock, but lets you adjust parameters such as 2-step rev limiter, speed limiter, gear ratio for speedometer correction, etc.

its a great tuner, it's just hardly anybody uses them it seems.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
not at all, a little, yes, and AM.

:laugh: Oh you're funny! :shigrin

it comes with a 93 octane Performance Tune, which does your a/f and timing settings for you, (allows for user adjustment) and a 87 octane Factory Tune, which leaves your a/f & timing stock, but lets you adjust parameters such as 2-step rev limiter, speed limiter, gear ratio for speedometer correction, etc.

its a great tuner, it's just hardly anybody uses them it seems.
Can you adjust rev-limiter, speed limiter, shift points, etc for the 93 Perf tune? I really need to wake-up my auto tranny! :happyhapp I assume so...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Can you adjust rev-limiter, speed limiter, shift points, etc for the 93 Perf tune? I really need to wake-up my auto tranny! :happyhapp I assume so...
yeah; you can adjust all that stuff with either tune you flash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My SCT LIVEWIRE is on the UPS TRUCK today on my way to my house. I ordered it from AM and am super excited!!! However - I was a bonehead and told them I use 87 Octane and not 93 octane. Is this easy to change within the tuner or do I have to get another custom tune built for that case.

Also wondering after I change my stock headers to BBK Shortys if I can make hte adjustment or not. I probably should have waited to get the tuner until I was done with my bolt-ons. The upgrade bug has definitely bit me hard this Summer!! I think I spent like over 1300 in the past week at AM. I should own stock in them by now :gringreen

Anyone out there have the SCT Livewire and if so - any good tips?

·
Registered
326 Posts
you can't change the octane on the tuner. you will have to get a whole different tune to run on 93 octane. trust me, a 93 octane performance tune is leaps and bounds better than an 87 octane tune. It is definitely worth every cent.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Contact AM as they offer free lifetime tunes that you download from the internet and load onto your tuner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.