Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to this site but I am looking for the best set up for my 2000 v6 convertible. It seems she lags in pick up. I would like to know the best set up for exhaust (with great sound too), engine, and is it possible to add NOS? She is currently my daily driver but hopefully won't be for long, she will then be my full time project car! Here's what I currently have (let me know if I'm headed in the right direction brand wise) bbk cold air, true dual exhaust, steeda lowered springs, and some cosmetics. Will be adding Mac longtube headers, but not sure what set up would be best after that (x-pipe?). Also looking to upgrade the transmission as in gear switching, and being able to handle the extra power I will eventually have. Also if anyone knows quick ways to up the horsepower please share. Sorry so long. Please don't give me the "buy a v8" speech there's plenty of awesome sixers out there. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
102 Posts
For the exhaust i would keep it as true duals and add in some Flowmaster mufflers either 10's or 40's and high flow cats an x pipe will make it sound raspy so stay away from that:nono:, also a tuner wouldnt be a bad idea to give you some extra power and 4.10 gears will give you some extra acceleration. I wouldnt recommend NOS since you really have to go into the engine and spend lots and lots of money to make a car run properly on NOS and not blow up when you take it down the track for the first time. If your pockets are very deep throw in a cam and if they're very very deep a turbo kit will give you one bad 6 cyl. Youll be making more power than the stock rear end can handle so I would buy a rebuilt GT rear end to handle the extra power and there you go a bad sixer but it won't be cheap at all also after the cam and turbo you'll need to get a actual dyno tune which isnt cheap either

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
There's one crazy idiot running a 125 shot on a H/C/I motor with a stock bottom end, you don't have to upgrade all the internals to juice it, just need a really good tune to be safe.

exhaust: lt's high flow cats h-pipe and flow 40's will be just about as good as it can get, or do a prochamber instead of an h-pipe

Performance wise: real power for cheap, just throw some juice at it, if you want consistent power all the time, either build it with a good head can and intake combo or turbo it, you can get a cam for about 250 and the rest generally for under 2K and still make really good power, or you can spend more and go all out on everything

Home - ESG Performance

^ he can set you up with a good top end for a good price, and also makes turbo kits haha

As to the 4.2 stroker, if you'll an to stay under the 350-375rwhp mark just swap in a used 4.2 short block from an F-150 truck which can usually be acquired for a good price with low miles, check LKQ and local junkyards for candidates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a manual transmission.... As for switching it out with a f150 what do you think that would cost? And can new cams be put on without doing anything else? Sorry I'm not as engine fluent but I'm definantly trying to learn....

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I have a manual transmission.... As for switching it out with a f150 what do you think that would cost? And can new cams be put on without doing anything else? Sorry I'm not as engine fluent but I'm definantly trying to learn....
Oh good MT cars put the power to the ground better :)

I paid 350 for a complete motor of mine lol but that was from a friend, if you get lucky and find a good one at yard I would say somewhere from 300-500 LKQ is a little more pricey but it comes with a garuntee. Are you swapping it yourself or bringing it to a shop? The cost of a cherry picker (if you don't have one) and some beer for whoever helps you ;) otherwise expect a good bill from a shop, start asking around.

Cam, singular lol, and if you're just swapping over the short block and keeping your heads, or getting new ones, it's not much extra work at all to install a cam, just pulling the retainer and gear on front and sliding out the old one and in the new, you'll have to remove all the rockers/pushrods anyways if you remove the heads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hp

i agree with all the above but for some quick juice try this,i just installed an accel supercoil, totally worth the 100 bucks better take off and more consistent power no drop off in the higher rpms very notcable it may just be because it's new and the old one was orginal but i don't think so besides its not much more and it looks cool to boot:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
i agree with all the above but for some quick juice try this,i just installed an accel supercoil, totally worth the 100 bucks better take off and more consistent power no drop off in the higher rpms very notcable it may just be because it's new and the old one was orginal but i don't think so besides its not much more and it looks cool to boot:bigthumbsup
if you saw any improvement from a coil pack, it's because your factory one was a piece already, there is no actual upgrade unless you get a MSD ignition box (not their factory replacement coils from AM, a real one)

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Yeah either your old one was bad or that's some major placebo effect on your butt meter.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
At what mileage do you typically replace the coil pack?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
it's random really, best i could say is higher mileage.. you'll be able to tell when it goes bad usually misses and acts odd

Yeah either your old one was bad or that's some major placebo effect on your butt meter.
+ ∞

1 - 13 of 13 Posts