Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently changed out my spark plug and spark plug wires due to a misfiring problem. The car ran well for about a week, then all of a sudden yesterday my car started to stutter and the RPM and speedometer dipped way low and then shot back up. This happened a couple times mostly while up shifting when speeding up after a stop sign or light. When this would happen the theft light in my cluster would flash, as if the car thought it was being stolen and was disabling itself but then it would stop and drive normally until the next light. I've got kill switches on the ignition and fuel pump with a push button start, I've never had any trouble with these before and I've had them on my car for maybe a year, maybe a little less. Also one of the spark plug wire on the coil pack side was loose when i checked it out today, i re-attached the wire and everything and its still doing it, Although not quite as rough. I also disconnected the battery and let it sit for about half an hour so see if that would reset anything. The problem isn't registering any trouble codes so i can't really scan for anything. i wish it would register then I would at least know where to look.

Any ideas about what could be happening?
thank you

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
How is the kill circuit hooked up?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not gonna lie, Its kinda stupid haha. I just used a wiring diagram to figure out what wires power what. I put a switch with a little dash light on the wire the powers the fuel pump, and I put the same set up (switch with a little dash light) on the wire that sends power to the to the key mechanism... (thats as best i can describe it seeing as i don't know the technical name for it) so yeah just a switch interrupting the current in those wires. The push button is hooked up to the starter motor. Push the button to crank the starter motor, release it when the engine starts. i know its probably done retardly but it was simple and it is all under dash, i can easily reverse it too if that turns out to be the problem, just remove the switches and reconnect the wires and everything will be back to factory. The only reason i havent done that is because I've never had any problems with it before and i figured if it was something electrical like that wouldnt it be causing trouble from the moment I hooked it up like that?
hope you can understand that with my round-about way of explaining. haha thanks

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
So you don't think that a weak switch could cause your problems? Without knowing anything about your car, I would start there.

Honestly, if you expect REAL help, you have got to tell us exactly which circuits were tapped and how because it does make a difference. There are several ignition circuits that provide pilot duty for other circuits. An interruption would have ripple effects down the line.

I know this because on the 99-04 MY, there isn't a wire in the dash that directly controls the fuel pump. Besides, if there were, the switch would have to be huge because of the current draw of the fuel pump.

Also check the ground behind the center console. It's frequently messed up during a radio install.

My wiring diagram library is very complete. Given wire colors or specific terminal numbers, it might surprise you what I can figure out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay so the switches were the problem, Just took them out and the car seems to run fine now....

the wire I used for the fuel pump was green with a yellow stripe, and it ran along the drivers side to the inertia switch in the trunk.

the rest of the wires were attached to what looks like a giant multi pin connecter right under the steering wheel. for what i assumed was power i put a switch in red wire with a green stripe. and for what i assumed was the starter motor, i bypassed the whole turn key assembly and connecter a solid yellow wire with a white wire with a pink stripe.
it was all very trial and error, so if you could point out the right way to install a kill switch on the fuel pump, i guess power, and have a push button start I would be most thankful.

i hope this kinda helps you to understand what i did.
thanks again for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts