Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site, as I just found it when looking for some help on removing and testing the starter on my 2001 3.8 V6 Mustang. Another person removed it for me, but now I can't get it back in! According to the Chilton manual, it states that the 3 wires were to be taken loose before the starter was removed. The person that took it out said that I must attach the wires BEFORE it is remounted. I put the wires back, but can not get the bolts to line up. Should the solenoid be on the top or bottom? Would appreciate any assistance.

The problem started when I tried to start it for it's bi-monthly 3 mile exercise. It would not do anything--lights, interior lights, roof motor, and all other electrical compnents were fine. Checked the battery connections and they were OK. I was told that it was the solenoid, therefore removed it and had it tested. IT WAS FINE, NO PROBLEMS. After I get it re-installed, there is still the oriiginal problem.

G

·
Sounds like an alternator to me. I'll move this to the V6 section for you and get you some help. Welcome to AFM and thanks for joining!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The Ford service manual calls for the starter cables to be removed before the starter. From the picture in the manual, looks like the starter solenoid is on top.

>>
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
  3. Remove the ground cable nut.
  4. Remove the cap.
  5. Remove the nuts and position aside the wires.
  6. Remove the bolts and the starter motor.
Installation
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts