Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum and hoping to learn a alot from you all. I've just recently purchased my first Mustang, a 2001 4.6L with 56K miles for $4,000. I know i stole the dang thing, couldnt pass it up. Car runs great, only thing i had to immediately replace was the #3 ignition coil which was causing the car to sputter at speed and idle.

Now the downside to the low miles is the fact it sat awhile. I've been able to go through the car a little more now that i have owned it for a month and have found that several hoses appear to have substantial dry rot. I'm also coding with a "Small emissions leak", which i am sure has something to do with the bad hoses. I've also pin pointed an active fuel leak at the rubber grommet leading into the fuel tank on the filler tube.

I'm a noob to auto-motive repair, but i know that with information and the experience of folks like yourselves, i can properly perform nearly all repairs needed on this car.

My question to you all, are there any kits available for replacing all hoses and lines that could have been subject to dry rot or am i going to have to pull each one, carry it to the auto store and say "I need this hose". Basically looking to replace all hoses, belts and lines because i really dont know what all needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for any help provided and any other advice to dress up the car or increase its performance would be greatly appreciated, already looking at body kits, can't stand the unfinished look under the front bumper!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
pulling each one is most likely going to be your best bet. if you could take pictures of them, we could probably identify them and get you part numbers so you could buy them straight from ford. but that would cost you probably 5 times as much as just pulling them and measuring them out. how do the tires look after sitting for that long?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mello for replying, thats what i was afraid of, having to go part for part to the store. I'll get out here and take some pics to post. The previous owner actually just put brand new tires on it about a year and a half ago than let it sit. He unfortunately has medical issues that prevented him from being able to drive the car. One of the back tires though has a small gash in it, like from a curb or something. Will have to replace that one.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
there's nothing to fear going to the parts store. they sell vacuum tubing (i'm assuming that's what's dry rotted) for a few bucks per foot. if you really want, you could just go and buy like 5 or 6 feet of tubing, bring it home and then do the measuring and cutting yourself. it really isn't something to be worried about. just bring a sample to the store so they know what diameter tubing to get you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hey, your other bet is to but the Stainless steel flex hosing kits, but you cut them to fit. . . I did it, I bought the 48" kit and the small hose kit that had 35", but like i said you have to cut them to fit, but they look GREAT and are around the same price as replacing all of the hosing in car

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
yeah i think it is his vacuum tubing. he said he was throwing a CEL related to emissions, which leads me to believe it's vacuum tubing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.