Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headscratch:
Okay, I got the belt off of the engine just fine. I released the tension in the tensioner pulley, the old belt slid off, no problem.

Now, here's my issue, using the diagram, I route the belt as I see it, however, I can only get the belt to clear all but ONE of anything. According to Advance, it's the correct part number so it should be the right belt.

I've even loosened the bolt on the tensioner so that I can pull it forward and rotate it towards the cam pulley but now I can't tighten the pulley back into position.

HALP ME! LOL!

I need my car for work on Monday, this totally effing sucks!

-Dave

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is to compare the 2 belts side by side and make sure they are at least close in length. If the old one is significantly longer, it will be longer to some degree due to wear, then put it back on and double check the part number for the new one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's whats bothering me, I can't even get the old belt back one, which leads me to believe that there's something I'm doing wrong, but I can't . . for the life of me . . .figure out what it is.

*sad face*

-Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dave, I think you should put the bolt back in the tensioner. It swivels without removing the bolt

These are configured a little different on diff models, but my '99 GT has a safety plate over the tensioner that is removed by removing 3 bolts. Then, by putting a 1/2" ratchet into the square hole in the body of the tensioner, you can leverage the tensioner clockwise and get the "slack" you need to put the belt on.

You prob'ly ought to pick up a Chilton's. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HAHAHAHA YES! What I NEED to do is learn mechanics! I focus so much of my time on driving that I barely know how these things work.

I got the old belt on there, I guess the new one was just the wrong part. I was, as you mentioned, moving the pulley incorrectly, I figured out it was a 3/8ths inch socket wrench and got it going, WOOT!

Thanks though, I appreciate the help, it really does mean a lot!

Semper Fidelis and OOO-FREAKIN-RAH!

-Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.