Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2001 GT. Ocasionally when I go to start the car it will fire over, idle and then die on me. This has happened 2 tomes in the last 4 months. When I try and restart it it just keeps doing the same thing.

The first time I put a replacement air filter (it did have a K&N) in it (unpluged the airflow sensor) and it was fine after that. The next time I just unpluged the airflow sensor and plugged it back in and again it started up fine.

The other issue that I have is that it will idle at different rpm's. Sometimes after getting to a stop the needle will drop slowly to around 750rpm and then other times it drops like a stone to 500rpm and then will work it's way to around 650rpm.

Does anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't run your stang without the "air flow sensor cable" (MAF) pluged in.
The ECU has no information on the precise air flow and therefore goes into a "safe mode" which means redard ignition enrichen mixture. That way the ECU relies only on the throttle position sensor and on the oxygen sensors.

The poblem of stalling:
It sounds to me as if you would have either a IAC (idle air controller) related problem, or a vacuum leak.
Is it the cable propperly plugged into the IAC, are ALL hoses propperly connected?
The IAC is located on top of the motor, connected to the intake. It is a metal cylinder (silver) of about 1" dia. and aprox. 3" long. On the back side you have the electric connector, on the front you have the hose which goes eventually into the air intake hose (big hose, connecting the throttle body and the air cleaner). If you have a leak somewhere in between the MAF and the intake, the ECU will adjust the mixture, and the car will run to lean and therefore stall.

If anything looks fine probabely your best bet is to install a new IAC. They go for about 40 to 60 bucks. This is a common source of idle problems.

Check that out

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
This is almost always an Idle Air Control Valve problem. Late model Fords are notorious for this. My first one went out at 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I haven't done this myself, but I believe it's done by spraying electrical parts or brake cleaner into the IAC with it removed from the car and shaking it to try and loosen up any gunk that's in there. Then blow it out with compressed air or let it dry for a couple hours.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Carburator and Cocke plate cleaner works well.

Let me give you an advice:
Cleaning works normally for about a couple of months. but it is not worth the hassle. It's gonna fail again.
REPLACE it the part sells for about 40 - 60 bucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed the IAC Valve and fuel filter (what the heck while I was at it) yesterday and it fires up without any problems.

Thanks guys!:worship

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
good deal, glad we could help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.