Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Mustang with the Mach 460 system in it. About 6 months ago I began having all kinds of electrical problems. The car had to be jumped every time I wanted to start it. After paying a truckload at the dealership, I finally found an Auto Electronics shop to take it to, who informed me that the reason for the battery drain was because both rear factory speaker amplifiers were bad. He unplugged them, and how the car starts fine, however, I have no lows at all. (The top rear speakers work, but the bottom ones dont).

Is there an aftermarket solution to this? New factory rear amplifiers are about 370 each, plus labor, is going to run about $800. I'm trying to avoid that.

In addition, where are the rear speaker amplifiers located? Are they in the trunk? Or in the side panels? One of the things I'm concerned about is that my top (its a convertible) leaks a bit and sometimes I get standing water behind the backseat in the empty cavity where the top lowers. I dont want to get new amps if this water is going to short them out again and I am going to have the same problem all over again.

Help!

·
Registered
805 Posts
You can replace the factory deck with a aftermarket one and you will be able to get all the factory speakers to work again. The only thing is it will bypass the amps so it wont sound as good but it will sound better than it does now. The amps for the speakers are located in the top area behind the rear seats on a convertable. You can access them through the trunk by taking out the section at the back of the trunk where you will see them along with the convertable top motor. I would look into a wrecking yard sometimes they have parts like that so you will be able to replace the amps. You will be able to do it yourself it isnt hard. But i would stop the leak on your top or more than likely the same thing will happen

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can find the amps on ebay for like $30. I'd highly recommend going aftermarket though. The Mach 460 is a PIA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.